• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sent to Bed Without Dinner

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM
  • 176 Replies

So I know a long time ago some parents used this method of punishment, which was being sent to bed without dinner.

I have never sent my children to bed without dinner UNLESS they are at the dinner table and refuse to eat what I have fixed for them. I am not the type of parent that will hurry and fix something else if they don't want to eat what I already fixed. Only because if they don't like it then I know they are just wanting a cookie or something with sugar. EVEN THEN if they wake up and are hungry, I will give them something (but still not cookies and junk).

So what do you think about parents who do send their children to bed without dinner as punishment?

I think it is a wrong type of method to use for punishment. I think your child's heath always comes first, and every parent knows that a child needs to have a regular eating habit. It's different if they don't *want* to eat, but you should ALWAYS offer something.

by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugarGuru
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM

i think it's more fun to make them eat their vegetables...a second helping as punishment, they hate it and get healthy...

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2010 at 10:25 PM

We do not use food as punishment or reward.

randi1978

I only do it when I make something (and i avoid making foods i know she doesn't like) and she refuses to eat it.

But as a real form of punishment for another act?  Absolutely not.

Sunshine172

my dad once only let me eat ONE bowl of mac n cheese that I requested, but then didn't want after a few bites.

sat there for 3 days, lunch and supper.. picking at the KD..

hated KD after that for a LONG time. love it now though :P

Avabliss
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

We do not use food as punishment or reward.

Momma to Avalon Grier.  <3
Hopeless living, loving and laughing.
We are your typical hard working, punk rock listening,
vergetarian eating, rule breaking, world loving,  
art creating, ever changing, always loving family.

samthecat001

i would NEVER EVER deny food as a punishment.  sweets YES...but FOOD..NEVER.
food is not a privilege - its a NECESSITY.
denying food is abusive and unhealthy and it creates an unhealthy relationship with food.

"I didn't say you were ugly. I said your girlfriend is better looking than you, and standing next to her, you look ugly."  Justins dad

Bambi5826

Quoting SugarGuru:

i think it's more fun to make them eat their vegetables...a second helping as punishment, they hate it and get healthy...

LoL

Pregnancy Ticker

~ It's always better to travel with a friend ~

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

starrynight819

My daughter isn't old enough for table food yet, but when she is, DF and I have already talked about this. It's either what on the table or a peanut butter and jelly. Those are the only options. I refuse to nurture a picky eaters habits. If she doesn't want either, it's bedtime. I don't think it's cruel, your kid won't starve if they miss a meal.

becky0899
by on May. 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I think it would be cruel to use it as a punishment but I also wouldn't send them to bed hungry if they didn't like what I fixed. I would offer something else but it would be something good for them!

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on May. 2, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Using food as a form of punishment is wrong! It can create eating disorders and other problems!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)