Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me ladies school paper need ideas.

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so i am writing a paper on students rights and ramndom lockers searches...but here's the what i need ideas on:

Describe a situation where a students rights might over ride a teachers responsibility to maintain a safe learning place?

I just need ideas to get my brain flowing so any help is good help....thank you in advance

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trishintraining
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM

BUMP!

JoshiRachelsMom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM

first you have to determine what "student rights" are and what a safe learning environment is;

Second, are lockers the property of the student or of the school? If whichever side you choose will determine what right to privacy side you are on...

***The real reason that we can't have the 10 Commandments posted in a courthouse or Congress is this: you can't post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' & 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges & politicians~it creates a hostile work environment***
my2sons2007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

There isn't any.  It's a locker, it's school property, they have the right to search it.  I can not come up with any reason a student would argue NOT to have the locker searched.

mamahot13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Yeah the lockers are the schools property and can be searched with reason for a teacher or staff to do it. but I think i just need to find anything that student has rights that would override a teachers. Do you think like a ladies purse or cell phone? My step son just told me that if his cell gets taken by a teacher that they have right to look through it even the pictures. He said some kids got busted for having pics of pot on their cell.

Trishintraining
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I honestly think once it's on school property it's fair game, but I don't know. Here's another BUMP!

mamahot13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM

THANK YOU FOR THE BUMP and interest

Quoting Trishintraining:

I honestly think once it's on school property it's fair game, but I don't know. Here's another BUMP!

mrs.sgt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM

In all my years having a locker, we were subject to searches whenever for whatever reason the school/teachers had.  The lockers are not the students' property, they belong to the school, so I don't see any situation where that student would have a right that was more important than the school's right to know what's in there.

Now one situation where a student's rights does override the schools could be their personal possessions, like backpacks, girls' purses, etc.  This actually came up when my sister started middle school.  That year, the school decided everyone must have either a clear plastic or mesh backpack and no purses were allowed.  The guys parents didn't really care.  Several of the girls parents, however, were up in arms because at that age, girls have to carry around personal items and they didn't feel it was appropriate for the girls personal items to be on display to everyone. 

JoshiRachelsMom
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Quoting mamahot13:

Yeah the lockers are the schools property and can be searched with reason for a teacher or staff to do it. but I think i just need to find anything that student has rights that would override a teachers. Do you think like a ladies purse or cell phone? My step son just told me that if his cell gets taken by a teacher that they have right to look through it even the pictures. He said some kids got busted for having pics of pot on their cell.

No they do not. A VERY recent US Supreme Court decision held that a Search Warrant is NECESSARY to search a private citizen's phone. They may be able to confiscate the phone for a while, but they are not allowed to look through it without a warrant. If an arrest is made prior to the warrant being obtained, then it will be thrown out if the evidence was based on the cell phone - fruits of the poisonous tree.

***The real reason that we can't have the 10 Commandments posted in a courthouse or Congress is this: you can't post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' & 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges & politicians~it creates a hostile work environment***
mamahot13
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Quoting JoshiRachelsMom:

Quoting mamahot13:

No they do not. A VERY recent US Supreme Court decision held that a Search Warrant is NECESSARY to search a private citizen's phone. They may be able to confiscate the phone for a while, but they are not allowed to look through it without a warrant. If an arrest is made prior to the warrant being obtained, then it will be thrown out if the evidence was based on the cell phone - fruits of the poisonous tree.

Hmmm maybe i should use that as an example if i can the proof quicky enough from a site online to be able to cite and reference it to my paper and I will for sure remember that in case my sons phone ever get taken and something like that happens.

Mamamanic
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Maybe think about how a student might feel violated from this and allow that to lead your argument. Like privacy...search should be done during a time it will not be witnessed by other students and become an embarrasement to the student.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)