• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do Spin off......

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM
  • 117 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you willingly take your child out when they are fussy and expect people to "deal with" them?

Options:

Yes

No

Other-What would make it "ok"

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 98

View Results

If your 2 year old is fussy for what ever reason, would you take them out and about?  Food, shopping whatever and expect other people to just "deal with" the fact your child is misbehaving, crying, yelling?

**Edit** I have added a poll.  And i am surprised that so far 87% of you would take your child out when they were already fussy.  Kudos to you.

**Edit again** Well we've evened out, it's about 50/50.  I find it kinda funny most of you said to the grocery store yes, to a restaurant no.  So most of us actually agree on when/where it is appropriate to take a fussy 2 yr old.  :-)

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trishintraining
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

My DS has week stretches where he's a pissy little toddler, lol. Yes, we go about our business, or we'd never get anything done. Most of the time, getting out of the house breaks him out of his funk, anyhow.

hatinnd
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:09 PM

lol   My second screamed every second of his life for his first few years!   Yep, I took him (I didn't go very much!)   But I figured  "Hey he's gonna be screamin here or at home, I might as well share the joy!!"

mrs.sgt
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I don't mind screaming babies or toddlers, it's the age, that's fine.

But I was in the store one day, and these two little girls, who were about 6 or so were shrieking like they were in a horror movie and burst out giggling, then shrieking, then giggling.  Their mother was just moseying right along not paying them a lick of attention.  I wanted to slap her so very much.

JMVITT
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM

My kids aren't cranky when we leave the house because they want to leave and go out.  In the chance they throw a fit in the store, restraunt what ever, we talk calmly to them and normally they stop.  If it's in a restaraunt, and they don't stop, I take them outside or in the restroom and I talk to them or let them finish their fit.   

I don't like my shopping or dining experience to be disturbed so I make every effort to make other's experience a pleasant one.  Especially in the rush hours when people just want to be home after a long day, they don't want to hear my kids throw a fit.

my2sons2007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Quoting JMVITT:

My kids aren't cranky when we leave the house because they want to leave and go out.  In the chance they throw a fit in the store, restraunt what ever, we talk calmly to them and normally they stop.  If it's in a restaraunt, and they don't stop, I take them outside or in the restroom and I talk to them or let them finish their fit.   

I don't like my shopping or dining experience to be disturbed so I make every effort to make other's experience a pleasant one.  Especially in the rush hours when people just want to be home after a long day, they don't want to hear my kids throw a fit.

And i as another person that does the same appreciate it.

kk_bella
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Depends.

Usually, I'd say no. But if there's something I really need to do and my schedule doesn't allow for me to wait, then yes.

My kids were kind of cranky today, but there were a few errands I needed to run before the week starts and we were on our way to a birthday party. If I had waited until afterwards, they would have been even more cranky.

I really think that people just need to deal. We are parents, they are children, not lepers.

If you're going to go out in public and leave your house, you are going to encounter people of all ages that are cranky, rude, tired or loud.

my2sons2007
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Quoting hatinnd:

lol   My second screamed every second of his life for his first few years!   Yep, I took him (I didn't go very much!)   But I figured  "Hey he's gonna be screamin here or at home, I might as well share the joy!!"

So you were ok with willingly allowing your child to disrupt other people's time out?

SugarGuru
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

whenever i see a child throwing a fit, if the parent looks exhausted, i usually go up to the child and start talking to him/her......and cheering them up, they tend to stop crying and start smiling, i've had a mother hug me so hard one time for doing this......she started crying saying people were staring at her....

my2sons2007

Quoting kk_bella:

Depends.

Usually, I'd say no. But if there's something I really need to do and my schedule doesn't allow for me to wait, then yes.

My kids were kind of cranky today, but there were a few errands I needed to run before the week starts and we were on our way to a birthday party. If I had waited until afterwards, they would have been even more cranky.

I really think that people just need to deal. We are parents, they are children, not lepers.

If you're going to go out in public and leave your house, you are going to encounter people of all ages that are cranky, rude, tired or loud.

Just to clarify.  So if i am out with my husband, and i use every swear word in the book, would that be ok?

nemiller

usually, a change of scenery is exactly what my son needs when he's acting like that.  so when he's moping around the house, he's generally very happy to be out doing something and behaves at the store, library, etc.  i'd give it a shot, and then just remove him if he's going to misbehave either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)