• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

co-sleepers!!! does it REALLY help prevent SIDS?

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM
  • 25 Replies

so i always hear that it does, since the baby will regulate its breathing to yours.

but we have a home health visitor that comes every 2 weeks to see our son, she asked if he was still sleeping in our bed and i said yes but i need him out soon since i am having another baby in november and it will be sleeping with me.

then she said 'well you know what the AAP says about that' and went on about how it was dangerous and increases SIDS. i told her that i had heard conflicing information, some saying it increases it and others saying it decreases it.

but where does this info come from? who says is decreases the risk? where do you all get your info on the breathing thing? i would like to have a specific reference for next time she brings it up

thanks!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

BUMP!

jenniepepsi
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:09 PM

it does NOT increase sids. it decreases it when done properly. with tight sheets, and no bedding or pillows.

how old is your son? if he is also an infant, and your husband sleeps with you (im not sure if your married or have a SO or not) then there is nothing wrong with one of you sleeping next to one child, and the other sleeping next tot he other child, as long as one of you is between the new baby and your son.

but please dont listen to the crap of 'oh its dangerous' its only dangerous when done with dangerous conditions.

EvaSerenity
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Quoting jenniepepsi:

it does NOT increase sids. it decreases it when done properly. with tight sheets, and no bedding or pillows.

how old is your son? if he is also an infant, and your husband sleeps with you (im not sure if your married or have a SO or not) then there is nothing wrong with one of you sleeping next to one child, and the other sleeping next tot he other child, as long as one of you is between the new baby and your son.

but please dont listen to the crap of 'oh its dangerous' its only dangerous when done with dangerous conditions.

Trishintraining
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM

What increases SIDS risks is soft mattresses, pillows, and blankets.. NOT co-sleeping. Or that's what my pediatrician told me. If done responsibly, co-sleeping lowers SIDS risks.

jgl3g
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Now seeing as they are not 100% sure what causes sids I really am not sure however, being that there strongest feeling is that baby's are "forgeting to breath" it honestly sounds some what logical. If they are listening and feeling mom breath then perhaps it kicks in there breathing reflex. Ok that sounds seriously cheesey but I gave my best. Google it and find out.

Oh and usually by 8 months the risk is rather low.

MeandB
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I do not condone co-sleeping as in holding your infant or having the infant in your bed with you. but I coslept in the same room. I think the bassinet in the room or a co sleeper or even play yard with them next to the bed is much safer. SIDS is very difficult. and there are many studies about it. Does your SO sleep in the bed with you? will you be sleeping with blankets and pillows?

Keila8
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM

You know what's funny? We're one of the few countries that tells everyone not to sleep with their child...

I honestly don't know if it increases or decreases SIDS (co-sleeping) I sleep with my baby and she's extremely healthy...

don't feel bad about sleeping with your kid.

Anyhow, if you want him out of your bed, start with putting him in his crib/bed for naps all the time. Then have him fall asleep with you and then move him to his crib/bed until gradually he sleeps in his crib/bed all night

I don't know if I helped at all. Good luck tho!!!

ready_for2
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Quoting jenniepepsi:

my son is 18 months now, will be 24 when the baby is born. he kicks and rolls around all night, so i know he wont be able to sleep with me AND the new baby.

i know its not dangerous and doesnt increase the risk, but im just wondering if anyone has a link or study that actually SHOWS this, so that when she comes up with things like 'the AAP says blah blah blah' then i can say 'well according to this____ it doesnt increase the risk'

or something like that

CountryGirl0809
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM

i believe it decreases it.    Dr Sears recommends it if you're not a heavy sleeper.    I do believe that your babies breathing will match yours.  I've noticed it in my DD>  I don't co-sleep all the time  but she has slept in my bed alot.   and I've noticed  she breaths theway I do

TheFoo
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:16 PM

NO! It actually increases the risk of SIDS talk to your pedi

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)