Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rash Help

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 7yo son came downstairs tonight saying that he had a disease all over his face! Actually, it was a rash on the right side of his face from his forehead to the top of his neck and back to right behind his left ear.  It pretty much starts right down the middle of his face.  He has one larger red, swollen spot under his eye about the size of a pen cap.  It is moderately itchy and is a little raised and bumpy but there aren't any blisters or drainage.  It's also just on that half of his face.  My primary concern is that it could be 5th Disease, but it doesn't seem like the typical presenatation that I've read about.  Sorry, I don't have any pictures because he is in bed.  I gave him some allergy medicine and topical Benadryl to help with the itching.  Does anyone have any experience with 5th Disease or have any idea what else it could be?  Thanks!!!

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mamamanic
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Hydrocortizone cream also.

jennymitchell
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Can I give hydrocortisone cream and topical Benadryl?  Do I alternate them?

romanceparty4u
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:33 PM

pics?

it "sounds like" shingles, has he already had chicken pox? Shingles will be primarily on "one side" , but usually the blister up and drain, itch like hell.

Could it be impetigo?

jennymitchell
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I'm pretty sure it isn't shingles.  They don't itch too badly and aren't draining or weeping.  He's never had chicken pox, but has had the vaccination.  It doesn't look scabby or inflamed like impetigo.  My first thought was maybe poison ivy or something because he was rolling around with his friends at the soccer field yesterday, but no one else has any kind of rash (I called and checked.)  I'd put pics on but he's sleeping and I don't want to wake him up.  I'm thinking it has to be some kind of virus or allergen or something because it appeared so suddenly.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

pics?

it "sounds like" shingles, has he already had chicken pox? Shingles will be primarily on "one side" , but usually the blister up and drain, itch like hell.

Could it be impetigo?

jennymitchell
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM

BUMP!

MommyCakesinTX
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM

did he try any new foods, laundry detergent or soap?  Sounds like an allergic reaction.

jennymitchell
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Nope, nothing new.  My oldest has really sensitive skin so I rarely change soaps or detergents.  No new foods, either.  He does have allergic reactions to things like mosquito and fly bites, but they have always just been swelling around the bite sight.  (A typical mosquito bite has been known to swell to about the size of a quarter and two close together have gotten about to the size of a ping pong ball.)  He has never had a rash associated with them, though.  My initial thought is allergic reaction, too, so I gave him allergy meds.  I'm probably just panicking because I'm pregnant and it seems that every rash that starts on the face is dangerous for pregnant women!  If it spreads I'll call the dr in the morning to make an appointment, just to be safe.

Quoting MommyCakesinTX:

did he try any new foods, laundry detergent or soap?  Sounds like an allergic reaction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)