Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just found a tick on my daughter...

Posted by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

I was just giving my 3 year old daughter a bath when I found a tick embedded in the baseline of her neck. My husband pulled it off and there was skin on it and a bloody spot on my daughter's head where it was. We put it in a zip loc baggie but what do we do. I mean what about lyme disease?

Please help I am scared to death she is going to get sick.

by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheLastLetter
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM

bump for you cause I cant help sorry. You can google and see

kdgord
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Deer ticks are the ones that carry lyme disease. This page might help you determine if it is a deer tick or not. The other ticks are just ticks and do not carry lyme disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

isra1986

Just keep an eye on her.
Ticks are "normal" where I am from. There is no way to avoid getting bit atleast once a year!
Just watch for it to turn into the "bullseye" mark on her. She will be ok though!

Bos_Boo

I grew up on a farm and we had to do a nightly tick check. I've picked a ton of ticks off of me and never got lyme disease. Chances are, your daughter will be just fine =)

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I would call the doctor. I know with ticks you have to pull them off a certain way otherwise their heads stay in the person's body. Other than calling the doctor I don't know what to do. Only experience I've had with ticks is my cat got one on her, my grandpa came over and poured some stuff on her and it came out on it's own, it was huge before we finally noticed since she was covered in hair.

AprilDJC
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM

you are probably okay, but here is what I have learned as far as tick bites (we had an infestation in Spain)

Tick bites are generally painless. Many people may not even notice the bite and may never find the tick if it falls off. Small ticks, like the deer tick that transmits Lyme disease, are so tiny they may be nearly undetectable. Some ticks are about as small as the period at the end of this sentence.

The actual bite may cause symptoms only after the tick drops off. You may notice local redness, itching, burning, and rarely, localized intense pain (soft ticks). The results of the illnesses transmitted by ticks often begin days to weeks after the tick is gone. That's why doctors may not suspect a tick-related illness. The most important clue about any tick-related illness is to tell the physician about a tick bite. Also, tell your physician if you have been outdoors (camping, hiking, etc.) in tick-infested areas even if you do not remember a tick bite.

After a tick bite, individuals may develop any of these symptoms that may be due to the pathogen(s) that the tick transmits during its bite:

• Call or see a doctor if any of these conditions exist:
    • The person or child bitten by a tick exhibits any weakness, lethargy, confusion, fever, numbness, headache, or rashes.

• The tick cannot be removed from the skin, or if any of the head and mouthparts remain after removal.

• Symptoms listed above persist or get worse.

• Pregnant individuals should inform their doctors of tick bites and particularly before they take any medications.

• Immunosuppressed individuals (for example those with HIV or cancer or who are receiving cancer chemotherapy) should inform their physicians of tick bites.

• Go immediately to a hospital's emergency department if a tick bite causes any of the following:
    • fever,

• headache,

• confusion,

• weakness,

• numbness,

• vomiting,

• difficulty breathing, or

• palpitations.

Also says to keep the tick in a tightly closed jar or container to show the dr if she starts getting sick. There's tests they can do to see what it is. 

mamajmm81
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM

we found one one on my son  a few years back and my dog got them really bad last year deer ticks and reg ticks..they were both fine i think ny is where lyme disease is really bad.if your really worried at least here i know there is aplace where we send the tick to get it checked for disease....my son was fine tho just watch to see if any reaction ...good luck she prolly be just fine tho

MommyCakesinTX
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Not all ticks carry Lyme disease. Call your Doctor and ask their opinion on starting her on an antibiotic prophylactically.

Lizzy317
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM

it's not really a big deal, I promise. We grew up on a farm and were always covered in ticks. Just put some rubbing alcohol on the bite mark to keep it from itching and keep an eye on it. It may swell up if she's allergic to the bite but most likely she won't have lyme disease

April9704
by on May. 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM

deer ticks carry Lyme disease and they are very small.....if you are that concerned take her to the ER and they will give her a dose of penicillin.  Also you can continue to look at the area where the tick was and from my understanding if it turns into a red circle and looks like a bulls eye mark then she needs to be treated but sometimes that doesn't show up for like 24 hours...my son had one in him last summer in his ribs and we tried to get it and it ripped in half leaving it in him so we went to the ER they took it out and gave him medicine, all is good....good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)