Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I let my children play with guns and shoot zombies on video games added a ltitle something to the bottom :)

Posted by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM
  • 164 Replies

So it's the weekend, DH is off shopping for groceries, kids are outside in the yard shooting thier cap guns and one of my friends is sitting here reading her book.  So I am on CM. 
Every weekend we have a couple of friends over and spend the weekend playing video games. Well Friday nights and Saturdays.  Sundays are reserved for either going out and doing something or playing games as a family.
The kids are only allowed to play their video games for a little while on the weekends, usually only Saturdays but if its nice I make them go outside and play, lke I did today.

When they are allowed to play their games I dont  completely sensor them.  As long as there is no sex, nudity, cursing, or drugs they are allowed to play.  Mostly though they play Halo(they kill the aliens) or games where they ahve to kill hoards of Zombies.
PPL ahve said that video games like that are bad for kids.  Well my kids are pretty damned good.  They are not violent at all. In fact I think my daughter has hit maybe one time ever and she is 4.  My son is able to resolve a conflict pretty well on his own...

It doesn't have to do with what your children are looking at or  playing, it has to do with how involved parents are.  I mean you can sit your child down and turn on the tv and walk away, or you can watch a show with them and talk about it.  Same things with games. 
My kids understand that the games are just games. Its not ok to do that for real, and zombies aren't real.  My son told me today that he knows that halo is not really shooting people just shooting a computer.  And the same thing with zombies. 
I spank my kids, not all the time but when they are really out of control I do.  Its very rarely maybe three times in the last year that i have had to spank either one of them. 

Its not games or tv or spanking that makes the kids bad or lazy or stupid, its the parents and weather or not they are actually involved, weather or not they actually teach their children right from wrong, and manners. 

Thats my random thought for the day, its time to go back and shoot more ppl on xbox....have a great weekend ladies!

Lots of ppl I know OFF OF CM let their kids play games and play with toy guns.  Their kids are pretty well behaved as well.
Its the parents that are the deciding factor, and the amount of time you allow your child to play any games. 
Like right now my son is being forced to be outside in the yard, he isn't happy but doesnt ahve a choice because I am not going to let him sit in the house all day and play video games.  Its only maybe 4 hours the whole day off and on, and less than that on Sundays since sunday is family day.  They are not allowed to play anything not educational on school days, and only on the computer those days and only for an hour a day. 
How does that make me ignorant?

by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Idiosyncratic
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM

every freakin day.....

and it's always an essay.....

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Awesome for you.  My child is 2 1/2, and we go to the park and play outside...no video games for him.

tilly030409
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetheart5703
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Um right. I have to disagree with you. My son is 7 and his father has let him play M rated games, and I am not happy about it at all. I do not allow him to play these games because regardless of what he "thinks" I believe it is way too inappropriate for his age. How old are your kids that are playing these games? My son lives with my BTW but I can't control what his father is doing with him on the weekends, and I have told him to stop allowing him to play. His Dad says he has, but still he has already seen it. I do believe that video games not suitable for there ages can cause behavioral problems. 

JSVDP
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM

It was actually a discussion a friend and I have been having.  Funny thing is I can leave the tv on all day but unless the show is 15 minutes or less my kids wont pay attention, according to my daughter even sesame street is "too long" and she runs off to play.  So we have music on all day instead.  makes the day more fun.

gnr
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It's not just every freakin day it's been several times today...I'm so tired I want to fall asleep and her posts have not been helping me much LOL.

Quoting Idiosyncratic:

every freakin day.....

and it's always an essay.....

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/gnr
n03z07l08
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I cannot read your posts. You just ramble on and on and on! Does it really take 10 paragraphs to say what you want? sheesh.

I read the title though,my kids play with guns,swords and video games. And I let them point the guns at eachother too. *gasp*

sweetheart5703
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Also I must add that your pretty much saying that because you allow it means its OK, you probably think cursing, and smoking are OK too in your household and has no cause and effect. eye rolling

JSVDP
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM

My nephew played doom and grand theft auto from the time he was 3 until about 7 years old.  He started repeating the GTA and my sister banned him from it.  He playes violent games to this day, he is 13 years old much smarter than any kids his age.  He has never been violent ever, never raised a hand to any person even his brother who he cant stand most of the time.  He doesn't act out and I have never ever ever heard him say a curse word. 
Because me and my sister were with him all the time, he had supervision and we didnt plop him in front of the game the whole time and ignore him.
I can imagine that your son is left alone to play video games ALL THE TIME, and that is obviously not good. But in moderation and with supervision and parents being involved all the time is going to be what helps them understand right and wrong.

Quoting sweetheart5703:

Um right. I have to disagree with you. My son is 7 and his father has let him play M rated games, and I am not happy about it at all. I do not allow him to play these games because regardless of what he "thinks" I believe it is way too inappropriate for his age. How old are your kids that are playing these games? My son lives with my BTW but I can't control what his father is doing with him on the weekends, and I have told him to stop allowing him to play. His Dad says he has, but still he has already seen it. I do believe that video games not suitable for there ages can cause behavioral problems. 

momof4boyz1girl
by on May. 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Why do some people feel the need to explain how they parent?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN