Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Help!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is a week old today.  I have been breastfeeding but I swear I am in so much pain.  My nipples aren't exactly bleeding but they are very cracked and so sore that it hurts while I am feeding her.  I know she is latching on right because when I was in the hospital they said everything was good.  They also gave me a breastshield that I have tried to use but the baby doesn't like it.  What are some tips or things to try to help this pain?  Please help or bump, I really want to continue breastfeeding!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Keep using Lansinoh. And if they crack and bleed, use a pump until your nipples heal if it gets really bad.

You can also try putting your CLEAN pinkie, nail side down in her mouth and letting her suck on it, and then latching her on, getting her mouth really really wide to make sure the nipple is far enough back in her mouth.

Good luck. Don't give up if you know this is what you want to do.

KelliandScott
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Best advice I can give you is don't give up because it will get easier as you get used to it. When I was breastfeeding (with all three of my kids) I had to stop and pump after the first two or three weeks because my nipples were SO sore. You could always do that, then go back to breastfeeding when they heel up.

IlyssasMommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Let your nipples air dry. Also, leave the breast milk on them to help heal them. Using Medela or Lasinoh ointment can help also.

EvaSerenity
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Don't give up!!!!! The pain DOES go away. Maybe have a lactation consultant double check your latch? I know I hurt sooooo bad with my 1st, I can't remember for how long, but it seemed like forever. Now I am on my 3rd BF'd baby and I'm soo glad I didn't give up.

FranksHoney
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

The first 6 weeks were hell for me. I literally cried when I knew she was hungary because it hurt so bad to feed her. Just keep doing what you are doing and DON'T GIVE UP. It is so worth it! I would also suggest joinging the breastfeeding group. It is full of awesome women that give you nothing but support and great advice.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers

StarsChildren
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Don't give up! It takes a little while for your nipples to adjust and basically get to used to it. Let them air dry. It will get better, honestly, I thought I was gonna cry because mine cracked and hurt so bad, but after a while all that stopped so I know what your feeling, but it does go away. Just give it some time and let your body adjust.

IlyssasMommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

OH! I didn't think of this at the time, but I think it's medela that sells reuseable gel nipple pads that you can put in the freezer. I've heard they are pretty good.

sweetstuff6
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Lansinoh helps me when mine hurt. It does get easier and better with a little bit of time for both you and your baby to adjust. You can also try putting a warm wash cloth over your nipples when she's not eating to see if it helps with the pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

If the latch hurts the whole time you nurse, not just at latching and/or the nipples come out looking like a tube of lipstick then latch is wrong.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital or just the nurses and doctors, she needs to be an IBCLC, not just a lactation nurse.

Latch often changes when milk comes in too.  YOu need to have your rechecked.

Lanolin oitment is what you need, cover your nipples in it after every nursing, you can leave it on to nurse no need to wipe it off.

Get baby checked for a tongue tie, that can cause major ipple trauma.

mom22tumblebugs
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM

You can also start with a nipple shield and once there is let down, take baby off, latch baby back on without the nipple shield. The nipple shield will cut down on some of the friction. Look at your nipple to see if you have any white marks (compression). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)