Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any camping families?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM
  • 24 Replies

We are planning our first camping trip of the summer!  Yay!  So excited! 

I'm looking for easy to cook over a fire meals.  Also, anything you might make ahead of time for meals.  The other times we've gone, we went with friends who were in a camper.  So we took a few meals to put in a crock pot.  This time, we are going with friends, but no one is in a camper and we're not going to have electric. 

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I don't know about meals, but on a square of foil, slice one banana longways, open, top with mini marshmallows and choc chips, close up and crimp foil closed. Put over coals for 4-7 min. Yum!

You can get some good ideas from Scouting websites like this:

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM

do you have a propane camping stove?  you can make lots of different hot foods on a camping stove just like a regular stove.

for over the fire, marinate some pork chops, hot dogs, hamburgers (there is a camping tool for putting burgers, veggies, brats, bacon etc. in to cook over a fire)

you can premake pasta salad, potato salad, hard boiled eggs, etc.

i keep breakfast simple.  muffins, granola bars, applesauce cups, fruit, coffee cake

lunch can be egg salad, tuna or pb&j to keep that easy

by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM

soup is always an easy over the fire meal...also hamburger, hotdogs,  also you can make a cake in a dutch oven to....real easy.....just get some charcoal hot...and put all your ingredients in your dutch oven, and sit your dutch oven on the charcoal, and then put some charcoal on the top of your dutch oven lid, and let it bake a while..real good...

check out these websites...

camping recipes - outdoor cooking - campfire meals

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM

When my family and I used to go camping when I was younger we would ALWAYS have dentimoore beef stew!!!! and then something like sandwiches!! grilled cheese is always a good one too. If I can think of anymore I'll let you know!!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM

take some ground beef and mix some cream of chicken soup and lipton onion soup mix powder into it......put it in some tinfoil. add some baby carrots and potatoes and any other veggies you like in it as well. close the tinfoil around all the food. then put another layer of tinfoil around it. to cook it you just put the foil packets directly on top of some charcoal. it takes about 40 min to cook.

****these are supposed to be individual servings so make as many of these "packets" as needed

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:53 AM

we love camping!!! used to tent now we do have a camper but some things from tenting still stay with us. A book I love is called  "roughing it easy"  the authors first name is Dian can't remember the last name.

One thing I like to do is to take an umbrella that has a "U" shaped handle and open it up , turn it upside down hang it from a tree, hook a shower curtain on each of the nubs that stick out from the umbrella and you have an instant changing room or a room that can be used at an outdoor bathroom if you have a portable potty chair with you......I also like to use those hanging shoe racks (about $10.00 each) and hanging sweater shelves I hang them up on the dining canopy they hold spices and cooking utensils (shoe rack) The sweater shelf holds foil, plastic wrap, dish towels and dish cloths. It keeps everything handy , neat and clean.

If you bring a big pot you can cook corn on the cob over an open fire. They same pot can then become the pot to wash and dished in  just heat the water over the fire. 

Are you bringing a gril or cook stove of any kind???

Really anything you make at home on the stove can be made over a camp fire. If I get a chance I will post more later

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:55 AM

we just stick to hot dogs and hamburgers. I premake potato, macaroni or pasta salad, we also bring chips.

for lunch we usually just do sandwiches...pb&j, ham and cheese and chips

for breakfast muffins, donuts, dry cereal,

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM

just to add we never had a cook stove, but this year I think we'll get one.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Thank you for all the great ideas!!

We aren't taking a grill.  We will do all cooking over the fire.  I might bring some cast iron cookware, but I haven't decided yet.

For breakfast I was thinking-
breakfast sandwiches

mountain pies

dh wants to cook steaks one night
hot dogs/hot sausage
and maybe chicken

I think I'll take a few bags of chips, make ahead potato & macaroni salad, broccoli cauliflower salad, and a ton of fruit.  I think that should do it!! 

Oh, and I can't forget the smores!

Thank so much girls!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM

We love to camp. 

we do a lot of different mountain pies.  Heck we even did breakfast ones but it works best if you scramble your eggs 1st.  

I make a lot of food to take that you can eat cold.   We also do sandwiches or we take a little portable grill with us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)