Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores dilemma...

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am an obsessive cleaner. My towels have to be folded the right way, clothes put away just so..When I vacuum (everyday) I also have to vac the baseboards and along every wall..Dusting has to be done so so. Etc. etc. etc....SO, my kids are 7, 4, and 3..They are now doing chores. GREAT! BUT I am finding it sooo hard not to go back and redo some things. I don't want to be an ass, but oh it is driving me crazy..What do you do about this?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

An

luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Oops..Anyone?

my2sons2007
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I started helping my mom dust when i was about 7......And i am sure i didn't do it right, but it was the effort.  I would let them do it, and just leave it as is, otherwsie you might make them feel like they are not doing it good enough, and that could send a bad message.......

stefvan
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM

First, you need to get over the imperfectness.  LOL Easier said then done.  Don't worry about it - learn to let things go.  

im23vaughn
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I am thinking maybe you should work on your obsessiveness? I mean with 3 kids it's already hard enough to keep the house 100% clean. The time you spent finicking about if the towels are folded could be spent with your kids. Seconds add up to minutes and minutes to hours and hours to days.

I would say every time you feel the urge to redo something that your kids have done... take a deep breath and look at the big picture. Will your world end if the towels aren't symmetrical? Will the earth stand still if there is a little dust on the baseboards? No they won't. Pick a few days out the week for heavy duty cleaning and the other days just straighten up.

It can undermine your children's confidence if everytime they clean something you run behind them fixing it. It will make them feel like they can never do it good enough.

whenshesmiles
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM

you might have a slight obsessive compulsive issue!! LOL no worries, i'm the same way. Try not to push it off on your kids tho. they are still little and dont really understand yet how you want things done. thank them for helping and if its really bugging you quietly go behind them later when they aren't looking and fix it. Or, realize you have three little kids and your house is not going to be perfect and THATS OKAY :)

luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM

That is what I was thinking. I did go back over the kitchen with a broom and show Audrey how to do it properly, but I assured her that it takes practice. It just drives me crazy not to have things done right..:o( Bless their hearts though..They are helping. Maybe during a nap I will go back over a few things

Quoting my2sons2007:

I started helping my mom dust when i was about 7......And i am sure i didn't do it right, but it was the effort.  I would let them do it, and just leave it as is, otherwsie you might make them feel like they are not doing it good enough, and that could send a bad message.......

luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

LOL! Girl it carries onto the yard too! The grass get mowed by me with a push mower (because it does a better job) and the rows have to go a certain direction. LOL! I drive everyone bonkers, but I can handle it! I have been this way for a LONG time. I do want my kids to feel the importance of a clean house. Maybe not so crazy about it, but I do not want slobs! I would NEVER make them feel like they didn't do a good job..I have been quitely running a rag over an area or folding something differently. You sound like me ;o)

Quoting whenshesmiles:

you might have a slight obsessive compulsive issue!! LOL no worries, i'm the same way. Try not to push it off on your kids tho. they are still little and dont really understand yet how you want things done. thank them for helping and if its really bugging you quietly go behind them later when they aren't looking and fix it. Or, realize you have three little kids and your house is not going to be perfect and THATS OKAY :)

luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I know I know! When I started back to school, this was a HUGE issue! I HAD to let some things relax or I was going to go crazy. It is nearly impossible to care for 4 others, myself, pets, house and get my homework done. I am working on it... It does help that I have stopped folding undies and panties! I just toss them into the dressers. GO ME!

Quoting im23vaughn:

I am thinking maybe you should work on your obsessiveness? I mean with 3 kids it's already hard enough to keep the house 100% clean. The time you spent finicking about if the towels are folded could be spent with your kids. Seconds add up to minutes and minutes to hours and hours to days.

I would say every time you feel the urge to redo something that your kids have done... take a deep breath and look at the big picture. Will your world end if the towels aren't symmetrical? Will the earth stand still if there is a little dust on the baseboards? No they won't. Pick a few days out the week for heavy duty cleaning and the other days just straighten up.

It can undermine your children's confidence if everytime they clean something you run behind them fixing it. It will make them feel like they can never do it good enough.

luv-u-jmm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Thanks ladies....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)