Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hyperthyroidism Mommas!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM
  • 4 Replies

I have a question! What was it like when you experienced it? It runs in my family (ALOT!) My mom, uncle, grandpa, his brother and my little sister all suffered from it. Well, my sister has hypothyroidism, bc my mom had hers removed when it went out of whack.

And maybe I'm just super paranoid, because when my mom had her second, it went out of whack! And now I'm expecting #2!

OK. I'm freaking manic it seems. I was up til 3 am crying hysterically and fighting with DH. and IDK why. I also have alot of trouble falling asleep for days, then i just want to crash. Which, with a 16 month old, isnt possible! And the main reason I ask is because i've had rapid weight loss. 2 weeks ago, i was 162. Now I'm at 153. Almost 10lbs, and i've done NO extra exercise, eat the same (maybe a little more!)

Does this sound like what you experienced? I don't have a dr appt til the 2nd, and my primary dr is a jerk and wont test me for anything.

Thanks!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
toadysmommy09
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

BUMP!

EsmeVincent
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Well I've never had any problems with my thyroid BUT it does run in my family too, my mom had hers removed when I was in middle school plus my other cousins, aunts and grandmother and great grandmother are all on medications for it(not sure which one hyper or hypo) so either way once I hit 30 I'm gonna be REAL paranoid about it(well more than I am now).

Well unless you feel like you are about to pass out cause your heart is beating too hard or not enough then I wouldn't worry till they test you.  I use to work for a endocrinologist and if your family has a history of it and if your mother started having problems after her 2nd then you should start getting tested after #2 or now.  If you are lucky you will only need to take a pill everyday for the rest of your life...the worst is getting it removed or shrunk with a radioactive pill(which the dr I worked for liked to do for those who needed it) then being on a pill for the rest of your life.  Either way you shouldn't stress, just make sure they test you every 6mo to a year.

AngieDawn28
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I have hypothyroidism, so I don't really know what symptoms you should be looking for if you think your thyroid is over active, however, if you do have a family history of it then your physician should check you over for it. How far pregnant are you? I know it is common to experience weight loss in the beginning stages of your pregnancy, but it is dangerous to loose weight at such a high rate of speed. I would make sure your primary knows of your family history and insist that he test you.

toadysmommy09
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I'm only 11 weeks, and I wasnt too worried before when I lost a little weight (3lbs because i had morning sickness baddd for awhile), but now its gone and im eating and the weight is still falling off!!!

He knows of my family history but say "its not important right now". And switching is a pita

Quoting AngieDawn28:

I have hypothyroidism, so I don't really know what symptoms you should be looking for if you think your thyroid is over active, however, if you do have a family history of it then your physician should check you over for it. How far pregnant are you? I know it is common to experience weight loss in the beginning stages of your pregnancy, but it is dangerous to loose weight at such a high rate of speed. I would make sure your primary knows of your family history and insist that he test you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)