Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Political and Economic Question....

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was recently discussing the state of our economy with a friend of mine who has very strong opinions. I asked her this question and she had no answer (shocking she always does and always thinks she's right LOL) I honestly don't know the answer so I'm asking you ladies.....

What would happen to our economy if the war was over and all of those service people came home? Where would they find jobs, what would happen to the unemployment rate? Would it sink our country and is this part of the reason we are still over there?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sassbott_5000
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM

not much effect actually.  they would still be working for the military at least until their enlistment was over.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Wow! That is a really good and thought provoking question! Considering the unemployment rate is going up now and if all our troops were to come home now I believe the unemployment rate would go sky high with really long lines at the unemployment office.  The competition for those seeking employment is very high as so many are unemployed now, imagine if our troops came home, we just might fall into a depression.

alberns303
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Well.....

Historically, wars have always been good for our economy....until manufacturing basically all but left our country.

You are right, a lot of the service people coming back would be sol when it comes to finding a job. Most of those people would be from the reserves or any national guard troops over there though. A lot of  people who are actually active duty military (as a career) are re-enlisting to stay in whichever branch they are in because the job market is so bad. Basically, if the war ended and all the troops came home, as long as the troops re-enlisted they would have a job. Also....they get extra money when they are deployed and the smart ones save it up...so there would probably even be a little boom in spending helping out the economy upon their return.

Given all this....I still think our economy is screwed....it is bigger than a "if the war ended" question.

ILive4This
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM

They're in the military....I assumed that meant they automatically had jobs...until they get out.

fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

It would actually cripple the economy here where I live. Not the service men because they would still be government property but because within a 5 mile range of my house there are several dozen factories that make military equipment, everything from helicopter parts to army sustainment pouches. Once the war is over about 3/4 of the employees will be laid off because the big contracts will be gone and with no new jobs opening up due to the economyit will SUCK. Not that I think this is a reason to stay in the war, I am just pointing out what will happen here when it's over unless more jobs come in the mean time.

LAXmom21
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Not those in the reserves and the national guard. They would need to find jobs. From what I could find out (not sure it's reliable) there are over 75,000 men and women in the reserves and National guard in Irag and Afghanistan. That's alot of people who would need work!

Quoting ILive4This:

They're in the military....I assumed that meant they automatically had jobs...until they get out.

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

It sure is a lot of unemployed people

Quoting LAXmom21:

Not those in the reserves and the national guard. They would need to find jobs. From what I could find out (not sure it's reliable) there are over 75,000 men and women in the reserves and National guard in Irag and Afghanistan. That's alot of people who would need work!

Quoting ILive4This:

LAXmom21
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM

This is part of my question. The jobs created to make military equipment, the contracts the gov't has with other businesses b/c of the war and the people in the Reserves and National Guard.

Quoting fatcat0908:

It would actually cripple the economy here where I live. Not the service men because they would still be government property but because within a 5 mile range of my house there are several dozen factories that make military equipment, everything from helicopter parts to army sustainment pouches. Once the war is over about 3/4 of the employees will be laid off because the big contracts will be gone and with no new jobs opening up due to the economyit will SUCK. Not that I think this is a reason to stay in the war, I am just pointing out what will happen here when it's over unless more jobs come in the mean time.

stefvan
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM

If they had jobs before, they go back to them (reserves or national guard).  Their company can not fire them, they have to have a job for them to come back to.

reelo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

The troops-- not so much.  Most would either be finishing off their enlistment working for the military or if they were with the reserves their jobs would have been held for them.  The bigger loss would be from the military industrial complexes-- the companies that make the equipment for war.

However, cost benefit wise- while those complexes would lay off people not funding those companies would free up significant resources for other civilian projects which could re-hire those personel that lost their jobs.

Historically, war tends to be a good thing for the economy by thinning out the ranks (so to speak) of young men.  It's almost cyclical- in times when there becomes a surfeit of population, especially young men, we have a war (works as far back as the crusades). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)