Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for Modest Moms.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM
  • 39 Replies

I am currently a cosmetology student and I work at a salon and spa part time during the week. This is the salon I will work in after I take my State Board Exams. I have asked my instructors a few times how salons accommodate women who cover. Typically, I have been told that women who cover usually go to a salon after hours to have their hair done. Last night I was working in the salon and a woman was having her hair done in the dispensary (instead of at a regular station) area of the salon. We had a male stylist there at the time and he was asked not to to go back there while she was having her service. Unfortunately, that can make it difficult for a stylist to do their job. There are many things that we always need from the dispensary. I asked our manager if it was legal to be doing hair back there and she didn't seem sure, but we did it anyway. Technically, it is part of the salon but I'm not sure how the State Board would feel about it if they came in to do a surprise walk through. Also, we don't have a shampoo bowl or drier back there so it isn't as convenient for the stylist or client. My manager also told me that she had a woman who covered come in and tell her that ALL the men including the male stylist needed to leave the building for her. While I understand and respect womens belief in covering I don't understand how she could expect us to make our male stylists leave work just so she she could have her hair done. We have many male clients everyday and we cannot refuse them services for ONE client. It's bad busniess. Not only would we lose that client for the day, we may lose them forever. So, my questions are.... Do you expect a salon to accomodate you in these ways? How can I insure any modest clients I have in the future are comfortable and want to come back to me? Where do you have your hair done?

Thanks guys! I hope these don't seem like stupid questions. I really do want to know how to handle this later on!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-AshleyNicole-
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

parkerkamismom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I'm not modest, but I don't understand why, if only getting your hair done, why you'd have to have all the male employees leave.  I thought it was just neck down that was covered?  Is wet hair a problem for modest women?  I'm being totally serious, I don't know and this post just makes me wonder.  lol

MarchMarie
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

BUMP!

tairakittie
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:45 AM

BUMP!

DreadyMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Interesting questions. Giving ya a bump.

-AshleyNicole-
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Quoting parkerkamismom:

I'm not modest, but I don't understand why, if only getting your hair done, why you'd have to have all the male employees leave.  I thought it was just neck down that was covered?  Is wet hair a problem for modest women?  I'm being totally serious, I don't know and this post just makes me wonder.  lol

They cover their hair too. With a scarf. Some women cover their faces under their nose. I don't know a whole lot about it! Hopefully one of these ladies will reply!

luckypenny720

could you use privacy screens that fold up? 

-AshleyNicole-

Thanks guys!!!!

lovinmom2
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM

BUMP!

gypsydancer7
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)