Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dont exactly know who to talk to about this concern...need your opinions and advice please

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

When i had my son he seemed to be totally fine. He came home with me and for the first two weeks we had no issues. When he was two weeks old we were staying with my sister, and she was holding him while i went to take a shower. She quit breathing on her. Thankfully she was holding him when it happend the first time and not in his bed alone in his room. Her reaction to the blue baby were enough to remind my son to breathe. After a couple weeks of testing he was DX'd with Breathing Apnea. For those who aren't sure as to what that means, its where a baby will forget to breathe. IF they aren't reminded to breathe quickly they could easily die...its one cause of SIDS or so i have been told. My son worse a breathing and heart monitor until he was six months old and grew out of these episodes. We also found out while he was having these issues he was also having seizures, and is Epileptic. He is 2.5 years old now, and still has Epilepsy and other issues with his lungs but thankfully he doesn't forget to breathe.

I am due to have another baby in July. When my son was a baby they told me my future children are 50% more likely to havea this simpily because my son had it when he was a little thing. I am a nervous wreck over it and don't know what to do. I really don't think my husband and will be able to relax and enjoy this baby or get any rest once she comes home. We are both so worried she'll, like her brother will devolp this condition suddenly and without warning as our son did, and we are afraid this time it'll be when we aren't right tehre with her....its our biggest fear about bringing her home. In some states they will automatically give the new baby a breathing monitor for four weeks to check to see if they will have it since the older sibling had it. Some states won't do it unless the child has HAD an incident..at which point it could be to late to do anything about it. I don't know if our insurance here in this state will cover the monitor and i don't know if they will let us pay out of pocket for a machine for a month to be sure she'll be okay..i don't even know at this point if we should even put a monitor on her, it'd be a hassle but it would also be a really big relief for us..its going to honestly be the only way i will be able to relax and enjoy being a mommy again KWIM? What would YOU do if it were YOUR child?

Also who exactly do i bring these concerns up with?!? My son was put on the monitor before he was discharged from the PICU In the children's hospital where we lived at that time. He hasn't seen the doctors or peditrician that he was seeing at this point in time since he was just a little thing and actually ON the monitor. I don't know if i would speak to the peditrician he sees now, that will be seeing my daughter when she is born, the peditrician at the hosptial where i will give birth, or my OB doctor, or someone else all together...i am just wondering if anyone knows who i'd talk to?? I am going back to the OB on June 2 because we have to run more tests on her brain ( they think she may need brain surgery to place a shunt in her brain to brain fluid off of it when she is born), i am going to bring this up at that appt. but wanted to get your thoughts opinions and advice :)

THANKS!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
my4kids274
by Drill Sergeant Mommy on May. 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I would bring up your concerns to your OB that is treating you and when you go into the hospital to deliver your baby I would also bring this up and tell them about what happened with your first baby.  Also good luck and congrats!

my_ladybug
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I agree with my4kids.Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

good luck  

Solo_Fan
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I would definitely check into getting a monitor.  If will put you and hubby at ease when she is sleeping.  I would bring it up to your OB and see what he or she says.  Ask your OB who you should be talking to about that once she is born.

futureshock
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM

You should speak to your son's doctor.

ff-princess
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

speak to your son's pediatrician.  set up an appointment, remind him of what the history is, and ask for his guidance with your daughter.  in my experience, my children never saw a "hospital" pediatrician, my doctor's office was called and the doc himself came out twice and a new girl at their office came out for the baby when they were born.  they also came out for rounds each day to check on the baby so their office was the only one I ever dealt with.  good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)