Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas please? PIOG

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

Well I was going to make my son a guitar cake for his birthday party on Sunday.  I had an extra cake mix, made it.  The cake shaped turned out awesome, but when I frosted it the cake just crumbled.  instead of frosting coated it was CRUMB frosting caoted in some places.  It was a disaster. 
So i have changed my mind.  I am going to the dollar store today to find something maybe to put on the top of the cake.  I have choco frosting and white frosting and only black gel food coloring. 
I am asking in this group and others for any ideas and possibly pictures ideas I can use. 
For some reason my imagination isn't working as well as it should and I am coming up blank. 
So anyone have any ideas? 

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JSVDP
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Nothing at all?

IMAMOMx4
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

put a thin layer of frosting on the cake then stick it in the freezer of an hour or 2, then frost it the way you want it to look.  I do with my cakes works great.

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

i made a sponge bob cake and it was super easy. because sponge bob is shaped like a rectangle. lol

mommy492006
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

did you let it cool off? usually it only does that when it's hot

JSVDP
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Yeah I am not sure if it was cooled totally.  But I dont want to take the chance of screwing it up and dont have time or cake or frosting to practice again.  So I am thinking that a dollar store toy thing might be better.  Just a little thing on top of the cake, KWIM?  Just cant think of anything LOL

greeneyedgrl88
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Do you have any tips? I make cakes and use the star tip it comes out perfect everytime and it's so much easier.

mommy492006
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Quoting JSVDP:

Yeah I am not sure if it was cooled totally.  But I dont want to take the chance of screwing it up and dont have time or cake or frosting to practice again.  So I am thinking that a dollar store toy thing might be better.  Just a little thing on top of the cake, KWIM?  Just cant think of anything LOL

is it all gonna be one color? cuz if so just pour the frosting on. heat it up and pour it.

wedding website
JSVDP
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Quoting greeneyedgrl88:

Do you have any tips? I make cakes and use the star tip it comes out perfect everytime and it's so much easier.

I do have tips yes.  I am hoping they fit in the pastry bags I got.  I tried to use freezer bags but the tips rip through the plastic.  Yeah I got the cheap tips. 

JSVDP
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Well I am probaly going to frost it all in chocolate. But then want to do some kind of thing on top with some toys or figures and the white frosting.  Making the white frosting gray or something I dont know LOL

mommy492006
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Quoting JSVDP:

Well I am probaly going to frost it all in chocolate. But then want to do some kind of thing on top with some toys or figures and the white frosting.  Making the white frosting gray or something I dont know LOL

cuz this is how it looks if you pour it and it wont crumble

and than you just take a spatula to the sides

wedding website
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)