Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was I wrong?? **edit**

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

So my 17 yr old neighbor Lacy was at our house last night. My sister is also 17, they hang out sometimes. Lacy is currently undergoing out-patient treatment for addiction. My mom is disabled and is on a fixed income which barely covers rent. I have known lacy since she was 9 or 10, her family and my family are pretty close, espicially now that we are next-door-neighbors...

Around 830, Lacy went outside for a cigarette. No biggie. But when she didnt return 15 minutes later, we knew she had run off again. This happens at least 4 or 5 times a week, and her parents are trying to get her into an in-patient facility. The first thought I had was my money. I had 10 bucks in my car, in which the windows were open and doors unlocked. Sure enough, it was gone. My mom asked me what I was doing, adn when I told her, she said well at least it was only 10. I asked her what she meant adn it turns out 40 bucks was missing form my moms purse as well. My sis went to her room and her birthday money was gone also. We went to the neighbor's house, her parents said they would pay us back. No real big deal, we know they are good for it, and they feel real bad about what Lacy did but can't get her to do any good with her life.

Fast forward to my mom's bedtime. My mom is an insomniac, and didnt get to bed till about 3 or so. She takes a vicadon (by perscription) before bed to help her sleep better. She just had the bottle filled on the 11th. The bottle HAD 60 in it on that date, and if she takes 2 a day, then she should have had about 38 or so in hte bottle. NOPE. The damn thing had about 10 pills left. My mom doesnt abuse the pills and gets blood and urine tests every couple weeks due to some of the meds she takes. There is no way the majority of the pills should be gone!! I didnt find out until I left for work this morning.

So now I have been at work for just over 2.5 hours, and thinking about the situation, and decided to say screw it. I called the police to file a report about the missing meds. The money I am not worried about, Lacy's parents already said they would pay it back, and since the live in the other side of our duplex, Im not to worried about it. The pills are a different story. My mom NEEDS them for the pain.

Do you think I went out of line by calling the cops for my mom? We can't get the script re-filled without a police report... Also, my mom decided not to bother the neighbors about the pills since she stole all that money, plus money from her parents and little sister as well this weekend.  There wouldnt have been anyhting the neighbors could have even done about the pills anyways.

So I guess the main think here is that I am looking for some support that I did the right thing about involving the cops with my mom's stoled prescription meds.... I kinda feel guilty for calling on her but....

**EDIT** So my mom is still talking to the cops, but I know that her parents are P*SSED as hell that she stole my moms pills too. Of course, she is insisting she didnt take either the pills or the money, but she came home trashed like usual and will be piss-tested at her out-patient meeting tonight which will show the vicadon....

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommymandaleigh
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I really don't think you were wrong. Maye if she gets in a bit of trouble now it will save her life in the long run, and it sounds like your mom needs her medication, no reason she should go without because you have a thief running around !!!

reelo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

You did the right thing, if your mom needs those pills and they have to be reported stolen to get a new scrip then, absolutely, you need to report them gone.  Ultimately, your sister's friend in an addict- the disease has taken over her life and she is not getting the help she needs- maybe your police report can help get her the help she needs.  Her family can't soften the blow any more.

TygerLily62
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

If her parents were trying to get her into and In-patient facility maybe you calling the police will help with that...

sassbott_5000
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

yep.  getting this girl picked up for theft could get her into a state run inpatient rehab.  then it is out of her parents' hands.  also, this girl would not be allowed over the threshold of my house until she'd been clean for a long time after that.

TomsMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I don't think you were out of line and this might be something that will help her parents get her into an inpatient treatment center...

allurasmamma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM

You did the right thing. She keeps getting away with all of this......she needs to be shown the right way, because everything else has proven ineffective. Good work.

TinaN64
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

No, you weren't wrong.  Dopeheads who steal should face the consequences.  She was trusted.  She knows your mom's problems and didn't give a shit.

You were right, I would have done the same thing.  I have called the police on my sister when I knew she was out drinking and driving.  It's about doing the right thing.

massteria
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I am proud of you for calling the cops!  Though even jail time may not be enough to turn her around, who knows.  Good for you tho.

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

i havent read other replies.

i would have done the same thing. your mom NEEDS those pills. the only way to get them is to do what you did. end of story

PookaboosMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

the police report should get her the inpatient help she needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)