Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me am I biting off more than I can chew?????

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hello everyone!,

So I am kinda worried this is my situation............

My husband gets a call from his grandmother yesterday in regards to our nephew who is 12 years old and has some issues with anger.

It seems that his mother my SIL told grandma that she no longer wants her son and cant handle taking care of him. This makes me sick to my stomach because this kid is so sweet and kind. yeah he has anger issues but they are toward his mother who treats him like crap.(and is a real piece of work)

After a long conversation about it we have decided that we are going to have him come live with us as soon as school lets out. We have the extra room, and we feel he will do a lot better here with us then with his screwed up mother.

I have been thinking about it and am starting to get worried that I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I am currently expecting a new baby in July. 

So that means that I will have a newborn, a 5 year old, a eleven year old, and 12 year old, and then my other step daughter that is 13 (who is weekends only).

We are good financially so that doesn't worry me. But my 11 year old step daughter has a neurological disorder that makes her demanding of time and attention, my five year old well he is a typical five year old boy and I have to watch his every move, then I will have a newborn which is alot of work in itself.

I know that I am a strong women with a lot of love in my heart, I am a SAHM and my husband is great about picking up any slack for me.

But I am getting a little nervous now thinking about how many kids are going to be here.

Do you think I have bitten off more than I can chew? Do you have this many children in your home? any advice on how to make things run smoothly? Or how to make life easier for everyone. Looking for some constructive feed back and some advice.

Thank you!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahcastillo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

bump

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I think you can do it mama! It will take some adjustment. I am taking my 13 year old neice on. She has had some major discipline issues soI know it will be a major challange.

Maybe we can root each other on!

I have 3 boys 3, 6 and 8 and I am a SAHM too

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I think it's great that you guys are willing to take him in. I don't really have any advice, I only have one 2 1/2 year old. lol. But I came from a family of 6 kids and my mom survived and is still sane so it can be done!!

MamaBloom777
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I think you did bite off a lot, but not something I would go back on.  Your nephew clearly needs you & if you have the space & the finances, then you'll kick yourself for not doing it.  It will all fall into place.  Was he an only child with his mom?  He may very well like having other sibling-like peers around.  I think you can do it!! 

I don't have advice as to how to make things run smoothly.  I only have 1 so far, so I'm probably speaking out of turn to begin with, but I think you'll find that we often can do whatever we put our minds to.  Good luck!  So sweet of you to take him in!!

futureshock
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 1:02 PM

See how it goes.  Since many of them are near the same age, they will probably entertain one another.

Just_Bethy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

They only advice I can offer is start how you mean to go on...BE firm..with all the kids...Sort out the rules and stick to them from day one!...Lots of Love and a few tears I am sure is coming your way..Blessed Be Mama!!!

mommymandaleigh
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I think that you can do it. Of course it will be a lot of work and everyone will have a bit of an adjustment but I think it is great you are willing to step up and help this child !!! GL

sarahcastillo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Quoting MamaBloom777:

I think you did bite off a lot, but not something I would go back on.  Your nephew clearly needs you & if you have the space & the finances, then you'll kick yourself for not doing it.  It will all fall into place.  Was he an only child with his mom?  He may very well like having other sibling-like peers around.  I think you can do it!! 

I don't have advice as to how to make things run smoothly.  I only have 1 so far, so I'm probably speaking out of turn to begin with, but I think you'll find that we often can do whatever we put our minds to.  Good luck!  So sweet of you to take him in!!

Thanks for your encouragement. No he is not a only child for some reason I dont understand, his older brother is favorite, and is treated completely different from PJ (the nephew we are taking) The mother is very immature about how she talks to this boy and belittles him and makes fun of him all the time, in return he is acting out towards her and she beats the crap out of him him for it. Pj's brother is a snot who is very mean and manipulative and vindictive towards his brother PJ. I dont understand why it is this way I just cant seem to wrap my mind around it, I did however witness this first hand last month when they met us in Disneyland for a family trip, the way she treated him made my blood boil and lets just say I was not nice to her about it. I think I will be able to handle it. I come from a very large family and I am used to there always being alot of kids around. I am just nervous. Thank you!

mommaboudreaux
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I think since they are close to the same age it should be okay.  That is really awesome of yall to take him in!!  I do think you can do it!!  Good luck hon!! :)

spurdy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)