Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did she complete the task???

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

You give your 2yr old a task.......Go get your shoes on........your 2yr old puts shoes on but each is different. Do he/she complete the task you gave??? If not, do you tell your 2yr old that they still cant complete a simple task?

Story: My sister told my niece(2yrs old) to put some shoes on. She puts on flip flops but different kinds. My sister told her that she is pissing her off and that she still cant even complete a simple task. Would you step up and remind your sister that the child is ONLY 2 and completed the task, she is still learning, Or would you not say anything at all?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommymandaleigh
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I prob. would say something but I have also been told I have a big mouth

sati769leigh
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM

its pretty ridiculous to overeact that badly to a 2 year old COMPLETEING A TASK not quite as planned! 2 years are pretty commonly known for doing something like this. I would have said something myself.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM

yeah ummm if she told her to get shoes... and she got shoes... she listened and obeyed which is WAY better than most 2 yr olds... maybe get her a book on child development.. honestly the kid seems smart.. it is a  multiple step direction - find the shoes,  put them on the right foot, come back... is your cousin stressed out or just bitchy?

paralegalmommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Yeah.  The child is 2.  She did what she was told to do, which was put on shoes.  If the mother didn't think that there'd be a chance the "task" would get a bit messed up then maybe she should have gotten off her ass and helped her dd get the right ones. JMO.

Chrystal_A
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM

HA ummmm no.If my 21 month old sees me getting ready to go out he will run and get his shoes,that impresses me.Im a bit controllive so the pairs sit together and are not hard to find.At two I think they should be praised for doing the task regardless if it is what mom had in mind.I think mom sounds a bit stressed.

StarSterling

I would say she did it! Then I wouuld show her to put on two of the same ones, but wouldn't say anything negative about it. Say something to your sister. She is just a little girl!

Just_Bethy

I would probably remember when I had small kids ...how frustrating it could be at times and let it go....Depends on how she treated the child over all....

MikeysMom51108
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I don't really think of things as "completing the task". If it were my son, I would be happy that he put the shoes on (shows that he understood what I was saying and followed direction). I would get on his level and show him that the shoes didn't match, and I would help him find shoes that do match.

My son is 2, and when I tell him to put his shoes on, he tries, he really does. So, he gets credit for the effort. He just hasn't quite figured out how to get them all the way on yet, so after he tries, I help him.

If it was my sister--yes, I would say something to her. I can't stand to see parents talk down the their kids like that over simple mistakes. Reminds me of this past weekend--my SIL flipped out on her 4 year old daughter because she peed in her pants. My SIL was being downright nasty over an accident, and you can bet I said something to her. Maybe it's not my business since I'm not her mother, but some of the things being said were completely wrong.

kiernansmom08

I would have smacked my sister.  Poor little girl.

KristaP13

I would say the task was completed, but if the kid JUST turned 2, I highly doubt they would fully understand WHY the shoes have to be the same.

My dd is closer to 3, so she knows the shoes have to be the same. She only knows that because of trial and error though. I had to tell her when I first started telling her "to put her shoes on" they had to be the same (after she had put on 2 different shoes).

Your sister sounds impatient..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)