Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids don't have beds.. *EDIT FOR PIC* (NEW PIC)

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM
  • 674 Replies

Poll

Question: Get rid of the beds?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 467

View Results

Actually they do have beds but they always make pallets on the floor, sleepover style. They want me to get rid of their beds completely. They haven't used them in a few months really. So, would you?

*EDIT* Beds are gone. If some psycho calls CPS on me, I will not let them in until they get a warrant, and by the time they have a warrant we will have beds again, if I ever find out that is a law... :)

EDIT: A pallet is a stack of comforters/blankets.

EDIT: This has nothing to do with me "wanting to be their friend" (that was the stupidest comment EVER)... they made a REASONABLE request, we discussed it as a family (and then separately as a couple).. they've slept on the floor for a few months.. have wanted to get rid of the mattresses for about 2 years.. this has been a long process, not just "omg moms get rid of my bed". Has nothing to do with them having control over me. It's their room.. I let them make decisions for THEIR room as far as style, decor, etc as long as *I* approve first.

What they are doing now.. :) Reading books to their babies.

Annnnnnnnd bedtime!

And yes their closet is a disaster!! This is one half, the other half is a dresser and the pallets. We are getting rid of some more toys today.. they usually don't have this many. The rule is, when it gets OVER the rim of the container, we start giving things away. :)

Another edit...

Definitions of bed:

• piece of furniture that provides a place to sleep
  • Definitions of furniture:

• furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy

Meaning, it could be a nap mat.. a mattress.. etc. Ours are make-shift "beds" if you wanna get technical. ;) So please stop saying my kids are being mistreated because they don't have beds. Thanks! :)

Also, for those so concerned.. I thought I'd post some more info.

http://chem-tox.com/guest/guestbook.html

While bed mattresses of 40-50 years ago were made mostly from untreated natural materials, the majority of mattresses and beds today are made using a variety of petroleum based chemicals, foams, plastics and controversial flame retardants.  Unfortunately, these are not stable compounds and continue to evaporate into the air and are then inhaled hour upon hour by the person sleeping on the bed. Research and personal accounts suggest people can become ill after repeated and continuous exposure to these chemicals while sleeping.   The situation is dramatically compounded by the fact that sleeping on a bed (or chemically manufactured pillow) places the individual in close proximity to the chemical source (inches compared to feet for most other chemical exposures).  This close proximity means that concentrations of chemicals are many, many times higher for the individual. Research is now available showing that chemicals used in bed manufacturing are in fact evaporating and entering into the airSome of these are documented carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds.  Common petroleum based chemicals have been clearly shown to have the ability to weaken or damage the immune and nervous system.   Autoimmune disorders have also been linked with exposure to petroleum-based chemicals and have been found to be the underlying cause of many common health problems today (soft tissue damage, organ and brain damage, arthritis, etc).   If you have had any new health problems immediately after purchasing a new bed it is essential to remove the bed from the living area (ie. to the garage) and seeing if health problems stop.

4/22 -- The two younger girls now sleep on travel beds.. kind of like cots.. and the oldest sleeps in a tent in the middle of the room. They've actually switched rooms since this post too lol.

My blog: tutorials, DIY, couponing
and lots more! :)  

by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buggaandmommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM
I would put the frames in the basement but keep at least the matress in the room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM

If your luck is anything like mine, as soon as you would get rid of the beds, they would insist on having one to sleep in, lol.

"Hate is just a special kind of love we give to
people who suck."

Just_Bethy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Mine like to make pallets on the floor every Friday night......but its not healthy on a daily basis...Never mind the beetles and bugs that get in the house in the summer..dust and pet dander on the floor isn't clean either....and mine store so much crap under the beds.....
Besides if you get rid of them...later...you might have to buy more when they change their minds....

Amandaandamy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM
They're not going to sleep on the floor til they're 18. Come on.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Quoting buggaandmommy:

I would put the frames in the basement but keep at least the matress in the room.

We live in an 800 sq ft apartment lol. No basement. No storage. If I get rid of them, they're gone. Which is why I'm unsure. The kids are begging, Rach said yes, it's all on me now. They would have a LOT more room in their bedroom if I got rid of the beds but their room is SO BIG as it is, they don't complain about space. They'd probably just run more than they already do if I got rid of them.. lol.

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM

i would just move them to the basement and let them have the extra room if they really never use them...  

dreamerinluv
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I agree with Bethy......dont get rid of them completely....maybe store them in the attic or basement......kids change their minds quickly and might want them back later.........

~~ Lady GaGa

Chrystal_A
by on May. 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Sigh,you have kids much like mine.My boys sleep in dif rooms yet they have similar sleeping habits,i dont get it!I am the strict parent and make sure my son is asleep in his room (not his bed neccasarly) but everynight he sneaks into the hall thats right by my room and bed.Ive tried bribing him saying you sleep in your bed all night Ill give you a piece of candy in the morn,but he cant do it.My 21 month old just sleeps at his door,and I have to lock his door to keep him from roaming the house,or he would never sleep.I worry about thier backs.My 4 yr old has futon bunk beds but he wont sleep on top or bottom and 21 month old is in his toddler bed.

i.heart.rachel

Quoting Amandaandamy:

They're not going to sleep on the floor til they're 18. Come on.

We aren't going to live in this apartment til they're 18 either. Come on.

We are moving in a year. They would be bed-less til then, if I so chose to remove the beds as they are requesting. :)

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

LostInnocence

No I would not get rid of them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)