Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom says NO to missing summer school...

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM
  • 40 Replies

I am custodial SM. If you're wondering why BM isn't involved in this decision... well, shes never cared much and hasn't been involved (by choice) in a lot of decisions made with regard to her son.

MIL wants to get SS for a week this summer. Well, we have so much going on that the only time really workable is during SS's 4 weeks of summer school in the month of July. I say no... because I am the one who knows how he's doing in school. I try my best to keep DH informed and show him school work, etc, however, he is very busy and doesn't quite understand that SS is in need of help in the areas of reading and math. Therefore, while DH told MIL that it was ok to miss one full quarter of summer school, I am putting my foot down and saying no. Not to be vindictive, but because SS needs the help summer school will provide.

So, I'm here... asking the court that is Cafemom, and the jururs that are it's members... Am I wrong?

ETA: Summer school is optional. His school offers it to children they believe could benefit from extra practice or may be falling behind. He will move on to the next grade level regardless of whether or not he attends. However, he is in great need of help with reading as he is behind by almost one full grade level. And, I don't think it's fair if he fills a spot for only part of the time, and taking that opportunity away from another child  who could have benefited from this program.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toadysmommy09
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:23 PM

If he needs summer school, then he should go. Thats what happens when you slack off in school, you miss valuble fun time! go mama!

Kim3787
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM

School comes first in my mind. If he needs help, he needs help and that's the end of it.

ff-princess
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM

no, he's going to summer school for a reason, and it's not to take  a vacation.

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on May. 24, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I think you need to find a week that he isn't in summer school so he can go with her. Surely you can move things around a bit.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Quoting toadysmommy09:

If he needs summer school, then he should go. Thats what happens when you slack off in school, you miss valuble fun time! go mama!

Thank you! I get so pissed off that DH and MIL don't see that... and MIL cares more about what she wants than what is right for SS. Arghhh...

Kaelansmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM

If he needs it, he goes... 

MOMby19
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM

if he needs the school than that absolutely comes first. MIL can hold off.

nbr1sahm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

I think you need to find a week that he isn't in summer school so he can go with her. Surely you can move things around a bit.

Some of it is summer camp, some of it is family vacation... another is a work conference, others are weekend trips here and there that MIL is wanting us to attend. So we really are unable to move anything around. It's all pretty much set in stone.

KandiceN
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM

If he needs SS then he needs to be there.  What if he doesn't go? WIll he have to repeat classes next year? Not worth a week stay with MIL. 

massteria
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Hell no!  You do what is right for your kids and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)