Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EDIT!!!!!! ANY OB Drs/Nurses or Mid-wives? I have a ??? HELP !!!!!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am 13 weeks on pregnancy #3.

I had some minor spotting on Friday (never had any with other 2 pregnancies).

I have some minor cramping today (like I had the whole 2 pregnancies prior but only briefly in the beginning with this third pregnancy).

My dr and the other practicing OB are in surgery all day today.

The office wants me to go to ER for sono.

I am on BP meds (just started a little over a week ago) prescribed by my OB.

EDIT: Had a sono 3 weeks ago with viable baby in utero (heart-beat).

MY QUESTION:  IF I GO TO THE ER, is there anything they can even do????????  OR, would it make more sense to see my OB first thing in the morning?

THANKS

EDIT:

Went to the ER!  They did (in htis order and in over 2 hrs time) a thorough stethescope exam, urine sample, full (very thorough) pelvic exam (most thorough I've ever had actually) and then exterior torso pressure exam (pushing on me), blood work and internal (vaginal) sonogram. Turns out the cramping is correlated to a re-occuring UTI (no other symptoms so I didn't know I (still) had) and now additional bladder and probably kidney infection that they caught with urine sample (I had been on meds for one 2 weeks ago with no symtoms that my dr caught in the office: meds must have not worked). They confirmed the pain was caused by UTI/etc by the pressure exam (kidneys were sore) and internal pelvic exam (very tender). They still weren't sure what caused the bleeding, even with the pelvic exam (they were looking for a cause there in the pelvic first) so the sono was ordered. They did internal sono to see more.........I've never been so nervous in my life. The tech was serious and moving that wand all around with no emotion. Hubby was watching over her shoulder but he didn't really know what he was seeing I don't think since it was internal, and I couldn't see anything but their serious faces.............usually if the tech sees bad or suspicious things, they can't say but if they DON'T see bad things, they will say "I dont' see anything alarming but the dr will have to confirm that" (I've been in those shoes before myself and with my son when he had to have some serious and extensive sono work done when he was born).................finally she broke the silence after an eternity and said the size of the baby seemed right on the money this time (baby was not small as 3 weeks ago), uterus was still inlarged a bit (not too out of the usual but again noted) and there was a heart-beat.......she then turned on the doppler (first time for me to hear it with this baby). I have never been so relieved in my life: I actually had tears. That was all I needed after also knowing for almost certainty that the cramps were from a bad UTI/etc infection. I also had a slight fever and my BP was high on arrival but returned to normal after hearing that............they gave me an RX for the infection, told me to follow up with my dr, told me the cramping would get worse but not to worry unless after 48 hrs-3 days it did not subside, do the regular UTI/Kidney infection stuff, told me my temp was a bit high (I never really run a fever when sick though, so it was just a tad above normal) and sent me on my way. They mentioned briefly that the blood may have been the placenta refubishing (high BP is sometimes attributed to placenta issues) but did not mention much more then that other not to worry.....I really didn't get to talk to the dr about the sono.....will follow up with my OB about that tomorrow I guess.......I was just relieved when the tech said everything looked good to her and the baby was the right size (she had the baby only 1 day behind instead of over 2 weeks according to my uterus size like before).

I've been told to rest, take it easy, drink LOTS of fluids (which i already was doing all the above due to my previous issues and morning sickness) and all should be ok but follow up with my OB. I was sooooo happy it was "just" a serious infection FOR ME (nothing really out of the possible already and even looking up for baby)!!!!!!!!!

So there is the update.  Thanks for your input ladies!  You convinced me to go the ER...........otherwise I would have waited "it" out and just gotten worse.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
northtexasmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:49 PM

BUMP!

toadysmommy09
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM

if you go to the ER, they will first search for a heartbeat with a doppler, then probably send you home to rest. If no heartbeat is detected, or you want an u/s to be sure everythings ok, they will most likely give you one.

i'd go to the ER

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM

BUMP!

SnowKristal
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM

I would go to the ER. The doc would send you there if you called in to the office and he wasnt available.

They can't DO much, but assure you of heart rate, movement, etc... and suggest you rest.

sarahcastillo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:54 PM

If you havent had a sono before this I would deff go in you could possibly have cramping due to a tubal and in no way do you want to risk a rupture it is better to be safe then sorry. go in a checked out ASAP. Best of luck to you and yours!

beckygeiger
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I was 9 weeks pregnant and had bleeding so I went to the ER, they did bloodwork and the HGC was low so they said it was most likely a miscarriage but go home and rest and then go back to the OB, I ended up having a MC and there was nothing the ER could do but I'm glad I went to be on the safe side.

northtexasmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I think I am headed that way (ER)...............thanks for the info.

northtexasmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM

HAVE had a sono 3 weeks ago and saw viable baby in utero.

Quoting sarahcastillo:

If you havent had a sono before this I would deff go in you could possibly have cramping due to a tubal and in no way do you want to risk a rupture it is better to be safe then sorry. go in a checked out ASAP. Best of luck to you and yours!

northtexasmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM

BUMP!

Kharma25
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Update us when you get back from the ER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)