Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why do people do this

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

why do people offer to do things to or for you, and then never do it!!!!!!!!!!

why say anything??? would love to hear other persons perspective on this!!!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ECMOM970
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM

My guess is that sometimes people say they would offer to help to be nice hoping that you will say "no" and when you do they just forget somehow that they offered to help you out! I agree that if you do not intend to actaully help out then do not bother offering up the serivce!

countrygirlkat
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I agree it doesn't make any sense.

Fairegirl33
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

cuz they really didn't want to do it..... and were just trying to be nice.

i call them slackers... lol

sweetalli07
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Who knows? Maybe they want to seem more helpful or nicer than they really are. Its really sad.

smurfbitebug
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

sometimes they offer to help you and then forget about it themselves and need a reminder. or maybe they're waiting on your "go ahead", kwim?

sometimes they offer and then something comes up- and their concentration is on that- if you reminded them, they would probably say "oh! i'm so sorry that i didn't tell you, but i'm dealing with ____ right now, i'm sorry..."

my niece got aggravated with me for this- i offered to watch her two toddlers in the mornings while she had classes months before her classes began. i didn't forget- i had even tried to organize it all with the times and if she was going to bring snacks for them, etc..

and then i got pregnant, and really, really sick because of it. there was no way i could do it without flaking out on her on a regular basis, and that wouldn't have been right. she was mad at me for a while... but she got over it. i love her children, she knows that. it wasn't intentional. it was, however, poor timing. i didn't expect to get pregnant that quickly LOL but that's how it goes!!

nbr1sahm
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I've done that before, but I always intend on following through with my offer to help. Something might come up... like DH won't be home to stay with the kids, or my sitter fell through... and sometimes (because I am very busy) I tend to tell them I will help on a day I already have an obligation. But I only EVER offer to help if I don't mind helping. Now, whether or not that actually works out for me... completely different story. LOL!

MMKherMommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM

some people are talkers.....they talk out of their ass either trying to sound good, banking on you not taking them up on the offer, or act like they forgot. whatever. i dont make a big deal, but i will call them on it if i hear them doing it again while i'm in ear shot! LOL! listenin' to idiots back peddle is some funny shit!

smurfbitebug
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM

w...t...h...is that in your siggy's mouth?

Quoting MMKherMommy:

some people are talkers.....they talk out of their ass either trying to sound good, banking on you not taking them up on the offer, or act like they forgot. whatever. i dont make a big deal, but i will call them on it if i hear them doing it again while i'm in ear shot! LOL! listenin' to idiots back peddle is some funny shit!

smurfbitebug
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

ok, n/m- i got it. looked at the words... i'm a bright one today..

hayliedlr
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM

you know one time i asked my friend to hepl me out with something and she said yeah.  and when i called her a few days later to ask if she could do it.  she didnt answer.  i called and called and no answer.  so i left it alone.  but she was someone that did that all the time.  well a few yrs later after me asking her.  she of course had a favor and i said yeah.  well i was talking to my sis and told her that i really shouldnt help her bc of me asking for a favor.  my sis told me to give her a taste of her medicine.  so when she called back i didnt answer.  after a few wks of her calling non stop i finally answered and she never said anything about her needing my help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)