Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We just made the decision to put our cat down.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

He's 15 and has a very advanced case of hyperthyroidism. He used to weigh 23 lbs. Now, he weighs 6 :( He's starting to hide and constantly wants to be held. I can just tell that he's suffering. I know he hurts. His organs are probably shutting down and his eyes aren't holding up so well, either. He can't keep up with his knots, so he is in constant pain. I can't keep up with them, either. He's skin and bones and I know all of this makes sense to put him down, but I just love him so much. He's my baby! I love how he wakes me up at night more than my baby just because he wants to be held (he's done this all his life) and wants to kiss my forehead. I love how he leans in for kisses and will actually give me a kiss (no tongue- lol). I the smell on the back of his neck and I love how his fur sticks out between his "fingers". I love how he likes to watch animal planet and the news, so he can chase the cars during the traffic report. I love how much he loves olives and will come running from across the house because he can smell them that far away. 

God, I'm going to miss him. How do you pick what day your baby is going to die? I don't know how to schedule that appointment. I've never had to put an animal down before. Hell,, I've never had an animal long enough to see them die before. I mean sure, there were my guinea pigs that died when I was in 3rd grade, but that doesn't even compare. This sucks so fucking bad. It seems so wrong to think of him dying when he's lying right here in my arms! 

2005-

2007-

Now-

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM

poor baby! 

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on May. 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM

omg poor kitty.. You are doing the right thing by not having him suffer any longer. Beautiful kitty..

s.t.e.p.h
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I'm sorry you have to make such a hard decision. I dread when that day comes for us. But like a PP said, you are doing the right thing.((Hugs))

Rychelle
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I am so so sorry!!!!  i know how hard that is.. big hugs to you and your kitty!!

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

you schedule a day that it can be just you and him.  You can actually pay a vet to come do it at your house if its easier. But you can hold him while he drifts asleep knowing your ending any pain he's in.

elise516
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

He is beautiful.  It is so hard to see them suffer and it is a hard decission to make to put them to sleep.  You can't think of yourself, you have to think of him and bringing him peace.  Personally, there are two ways I would go...either a Friday (so you can have the weekend in peace to grieve without the more usual weekday distractions, and yes, it will take longer than just a weekend to get over it), or a Monday when you have the rest of the week if you want to keep yourself busy.

First_One_8_18
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! Neither of us are currently working, so the day of the week isn't the actual problem. It just feels SO wrong to pick the day your cat is going to die. I feel horrible about it. Does that make sense? 

And as for the day for the two of us, I have the tuna and olives on standby. I am his for the rest of his life. If he wants something, he gets it (within reason). I just want him to know I love him and forgive me for putting him down. I hope he doesn't think that this is happening because I want him to die! 

crying

Mom2PunkRockers
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I am so sorry.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/thepitbullmommas      <--Click me if you love Pit Bulls!

bjdmom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I am sorry. I know how hard this is. We keep going back and forth about our kitty. She is 17 now.

Tea4Tas
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Is he on medication? I only ask because my cat had a severe case of hypothyroidism when he was 13.  He went down to 6 pounds before he was medicated. When he was medicated, he was able to live another 8 years until he was 21. He actually had bladder cancer and i had to put him to sleep when that became painful for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)