Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instead of Asking What Causes Autism, How About Putting Your Efforts With Helping

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

Your child to progress. To find therapies. To put the past behind you and think about how you can help your child.

Instead of debating if something caused your child's autism, why not put that energy into helping your child?

I grieved but then I wanted to help him become everything he could. I stopped asking why, stopped looking for something to blame.

My son motivated me so much that I went back to college to earn my degree in special education. I want to not only help him but other children as well with various disabilities.

I know maybe my view is rare but it's brought me peace. With my support and his therapists, he has progressed, he's at grade level (3rd) and is a successful example of inclusion.

I love him for who he is, every little quirk, every genius thought, and even every meltdown.

I am completely blessed.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SassyPainter
by on May. 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I see what you are saying, but the "why" is still an important part of finding the treatment (I mean in the longrun and preventing future cases).  But, yes, debating about the why in an irrational angry way isn't constructive.  And you're right that dwelling on the negatives does not help.  I'm glad you've had improvements with your son.

pasteeater
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM

So you don't think people should figure out why Autism exists?  Sure they should find that out in addition to your post.

greenie63
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

My job as a parent and also as an educator (working on my degree in special education) is to advocate for therapy. To help my child and others progress.

I can't dwell on "why."

The reason may never be known or there may be a discovery.  That aspect is left to research, scientist and not for me.

Quoting pasteeater:

So you don't think people should figure out why Autism exists?  Sure they should find that out in addition to your post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)