Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just read an article about the young CEO of Facebook and his response to the privacy concerns people are having.  The article includes something very interesting he wrote 6 years ago!  Have you all seen this yet?  He sounds like just a young little punk!  Glad I don't have a profile on that site.

Contrite Facebook CEO promises new privacy controls

Facebook 'missed the mark' on privacy: founder AFP/Getty Images/File - Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg delivers the opening keynote address at the f8 Developer Conference ...
1 hr 55 mins ago

Buffeted by privacy snafus and the lingering fallout from a damning, years-old instant messaging thread, Facebook chief exec Mark Zuckerberg switched into full-on damage control Monday, confessing that the sprawling social network had "missed the mark" when it comes to its complex privacy controls - and pledging to do better.

In an open letter published Monday in the Washington Post (whose chairman, Donald E. Graham, just so happens to sit on Facebook's board of directors), Zuckerberg wrote that Facebook has been "growing quickly" and admitted that "sometimes we move too fast."

"Many of you thought our controls were too complex," Zuckerberg's letter reads. "Our intention was to give you lots of granular controls" - uh, you can say that again - "but that may not have been what many of you wanted. We just missed the mark."

Zuckerberg promised, in "coming weeks," privacy controls that will be "much simpler to use" - including an "easy way to turn off all third-party services" that can access your account.

But Zuckerberg wasn't just announcing new privacy features in Monday's open letter; he was also clearly trying to bridge a growing trust gap between Facebook and its increasingly suspicious users, especially in light of reports last week that Facebook (among other social networks) had been passing along user name and IDs to advertisers (including Google's DoubleClick and Yahoo!'s own Right Media) without users' consent. Those privacy loopholes have since been plugged, say Facebook, MySpace and other social networks.

But Zuckerberg is also being dogged by an embarrassing IM thread from when he was a 19-year-old Harvard student, bragging that he'd gathered personal information from thousands of users for the nascent TheFacebook.com. "People just submitted it," Zuckerberg messaged, "I don't know why. They 'trust me.' Dumb [expletive]." (This comes via Silicon Alley Insider.)

Naturally, the indiscreet IM thread has ignited controversy. Some argue that Zuckerberg shouldn't be held accountable for something he'd written when he was still a teenager (all of six years ago, mind you). Others say the remarks illustrate a cavalier attitude toward user privacy.

The debate seems to have struck a chord with Zuckerberg, who bent over backward in his letter Monday to emphasize Facebook's "core principles," which include seeking to build a "better world" that's "open and connected."

Zuckerberg also revealed a bit more in an e-mail to blogger Robert Scoble, confiding that "we've made a bunch of mistakes" but that he hopes "people understand that our intentions are in the right place."

Well, as I'm sure Zuckerberg understands, people tend to believe actions more than words, and a revamped set of simple, easy-to-use privacy controls - including, say, the option to start from scratch and opt in to sharing options rather than having to opt out - would be a step in the right direction. But rebuilding trust with Facebook's users will be a long, slow process, and the fewer privacy missteps between now and then, the better.

What do you think of Zuckerberg's letter? Does he sound sincere to you? Willing to give Facebook and its upcoming privacy reboot the benefit of the doubt? Or are you ready to jump ship for good?

Washington Post: From Facebook, answering privacy concerns with new settings
Scobleizer: When do you throw a CEO’s privacy under the bus?

— Ben Patterson is a technology writer for Yahoo! News.

Anyway, here's the link where I found this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100524/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2204

by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cherylneary
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I am on FB all the time....love it

NEWMOMOF1
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Quoting cherylneary:

SP_Mama
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Quoting cherylneary:

Me too, and I've never had any problems with privacy on it.

Katharine1229
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I just hope some of the old privacy controls go back in place. It used to be when you made your profile super private...when you wrote on someone else's wall, your name wasn't clickable, and you couldn't see their picture.

I would love to have my profile picture only seen by people on my friends list, and to have it so people cannot send me friend requests, or see ANY information about me when they do see my name.

mellmom2
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Quoting cherylneary:

ikesmommy
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM

no problems for me

TRISTENSMOM0602
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Quoting cherylneary:

CariO.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM

This post is about the words written by the Facebook CEO 6 years ago when he was in college.  He clearly didn't value people's online privacy!  (The quote is in bold.) 

SP_Mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Quoting CariO.:

This post is about the words written by the Facebook CEO 6 years ago when he was in college.  He clearly didn't value people's online privacy!  (The quote is in bold.) 

Yes, but that was 6 yrs. ago.  I'm not going to hold anything against a guy for something he said 6 yrs. ago as a college kid.  I was a very different person 6 yrs. ago and I'd hate for someone to look at who I was 6 yrs. ago and judge me for it.

romanceparty4u
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

If you do have facebook, please add the link to this missing woman, and share---

even if you don't live in the area, sharing will alert your friends (and theirs) and maybe someone will have seen her get on or off the train.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122739057758360

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)