Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For the uneducated... CPS INFORMATION

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM
  • 111 Replies

For the record, CPS needs a warrant to enter your home UNLESS you let them in and UNLESS it is an emergency.

NOT having beds for your kids (because they choose to sleep on pallets), is not an emergency, in ANY state.

Just thought I'd share. EDUCATE yourself... :)

http://fightcps.com/2010/04/09/what-to-do-if-child-protective-services-social-workers-are-investigating-you/

Don’t Invite The CPS Worker Inside

You are under no obligation to let a child protective services social worker into your house. Under the basic law of our land, theUnited States Constitution, Amendment Four, you have the right to privacy in your home. No government agent of any type is allowed to enter your home without your permission. We know of many cases where entry was coerced by statements such as “let me in or I’ll take your kids”. Do not give in! Do not give up your Constitutional Rights! Stand firm on this! If your rights are not honored, you can sue them later, but it is so much better to force them to honor your rights now. Check out Forced Entry Lawsuit.

The only exception would be if the child protective services agent shows up with a law enforcement officer bearing a search warrant. Usually that doesn’t happen — and I will tell you why. The child protective services agent is there at your door to gather evidence. Usually he doesn’t have enough real evidence to detain your child right away and there is not enough “probable cause” to obtain a search warrant. Typically, he will be just working on a phoned-in tip from someone who wants to retaliate against you for something. If you talk a lot, your words will be twisted in such a way as to be used against you in court. Also if you allow this person into your home, he will most likely find something there to complain about and use against you in court. A sink with 8 dishes needing washing can show up in his report as “a sink full of dirty dishes and a filthy kitchen” which of course would serve to make you look bad to a judge. Therefore, just don’t let these people into your home. You have no idea what an issue a child protective services social worker can make out of a pile of laundry sitting next to your washing machine!

If the complaint the child protective services social worker is there to investigate is that your house is dirty, you can go inside, take a few digital photos, and then go back outside to show her the house is just fine. Or, you can tell her that without a court order there will be no entry into your private home thanks to the Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution. If she’s working with only an anonymous tip, she will not be able to get a court order. If instead, she has credible evidence, she may be able to get one.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/issues/cps.asp

Do I have to let a CPS worker into my home?

In the absence of a search warrant or court order, parents have the right to refuse entry to a CPS worker but if you dont let them in they will have to continue investigating, said Schuster. They will talk to your neighbors and make a disposition with no other information, which may be a disadvantage to the family. How can you get your case unfounded if you do not let them in, Schuster wondered.

EDIT: A pallet is a stack of thick comforters.. blankets.. etc.. very cushy... with the support/firmness of the floor still right there.

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Thanks for the info.

KelliandScott
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Because a million people are going to ask what pallets are, you may want to edit it in your original post to avoid answering it a million times.

Monica84
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM

BUMP!

ANandLPsMom
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I don't think you are LEGALLY required to have beds for your kids.. As long as they have a safe place to sleep.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Quoting KelliandScott:

Because a million people are going to ask what pallets are, you may want to edit it in your original post to avoid answering it a million times.

THANKS! lol I can't believe "pallet" isn't universal. :P

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

asistartomosh
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM

BUMP!

loves_her_baby
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM

do people not know some people CANT AFFORD beds for their kids?  people are stupid. my brother and i loved to sleep on the floor! we would lay out our own "bed" every night. different blankets each nice.  we didnt have our own rooms so it was all good. slap someone sadie!

allurasmamma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Just because someone does not know the rules of CPS, does not make them uneducated...it makes them a good parent. why would I need to know this shit?

bigmommasmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I don't see why letting them in is a big deal unless you have something to hide. I would never put up a fight I would let them in and be done with it. Although I highly doubt they would ever come knocking on my door.

jahvarzionmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:35 PM

in ct dcf required a friend of mine who was of asiain decent to purchase beds for her kids or they would take them. i mention she is of asiain decent because it is their culture to sleep on pallets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)