Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously?! What do I do?!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am at my wits ends with my daughters. They are 3 years and 21mo. old and I can't get them to eat anything I give them! They haven't really eaten much today or for the past week. I've been told to give them what I do, and if they don't eat it then tough luck. When they get really hungry they will eat. But I hate doing that. I know they are both at a picky eating stage and it's hard. All I can really get them to eat is scrambled eggs, cereal, peanut butter sandwich, cheese quesadilla, mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets. Outside of that, unless its junk food it gets tossed on the floor. I've tried everything from bribery to just letting them not eat. (which broke my heart and I can't bear to do it again). I am all out of ideas. :(

We've tried eating as a family, everything. And like tonight I made them cheese quesadilla and green beans something they both LOVE. Now they aren't eating a bite because it's not what my oldest wanted, which was a doughnut.

Any ideas?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicaRenee
by on May. 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

if you figure it out let me know. My son is the same way, and he WON'T eat when he's hungry if it's not something he wants. He'd rather starve. he's 2 1/2 btw and has been this way since starting solids. lol

kaitlynsmommy31
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

BUMP!

RmeWifey01
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

TOSS alll junk food. Don't let it come into the house. Tonight might be tough b/c they think there are doughnuts. Tomorrow though, try something like adding a lil' chicken in tiny bites to the quesadillas, and maybe a lil' spinach or something. Then make some dip for it with sour cream & salsa, and guacamole if you want. My dd LOVES this dinner, ds not so much, but he will eat a quesadilla with just chicken & cheese.

RmeWifey01
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

If they like muffins try puree-ing some veggies and adding it to the muffin mix.

kiernansmom08
by on May. 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Same here, except my dd is 22 months lol.  Her menu consists of:  any kind of cheese, crackers of pretty much any kind, yogurt melts, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, fruit, and mac and cheese (but only easy mac and only animal shapes) LOL

Quoting AngelicaRenee:

if you figure it out let me know. My son is the same way, and he WON'T eat when he's hungry if it's not something he wants. He'd rather starve. he's 2 1/2 btw and has been this way since starting solids. lol

Sandy418
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Well my daughter has 3 kids. they are teenagers now. She worked 6 days aweek. When her kids were young she would make 3 different meals at the same time and I asked her why? She informed me that each child w anted something different and they wouldn't eat certain things. Funny thing is when they would be at my house they would eat the one meal I prepared. I just laughed and said well if you have the time and energy. I told her kids will not starve themselves. They will eat if they are hungry. Get rid of the junk food. Don't buy it. Well she changed her tune about the ages of 6 with her kids. They eat anything now.

mitty18
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Think that's pretty much normal for toddlers lol. My son's doctor and my niece's doc told me and my sister that they will eat when they are hungry and to just offer healthy snacks throughout the day and be sure they have food available to eat when the are hungry..oh and my niece`s doctor said that for healthy toddlers you can try cutting down on the amount of liquids..but only if you have a healthy toddler and haven't been told any special instructions about Diet. My son for instance has to have a sippy available at all ti mes, even at night when he is sleeping (water of course) due to his medical issues and the side effects of the medications he takes for them. Good luck!!

kaitlynsmommy31
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

We don't have doughnuts. lol Thats just what she wanted. Either that or cereal, which I wasn't have been thrilled with but Cherrios is better than nothing. But oh no, that wasn't the right kind of cereal.

Quoting RmeWifey01:

TOSS alll junk food. Don't let it come into the house. Tonight might be tough b/c they think there are doughnuts. Tomorrow though, try something like adding a lil' chicken in tiny bites to the quesadillas, and maybe a lil' spinach or something. Then make some dip for it with sour cream & salsa, and guacamole if you want. My dd LOVES this dinner, ds not so much, but he will eat a quesadilla with just chicken & cheese.

davidsmom81
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I agree. Get rid of the Junk.  My kids want everything that I eat.  I only eat healthy around them.  If I want junk food I wait until nap time... I know awful but better for them.

Quoting Sandy418:

Well my daughter has 3 kids. they are teenagers now. She worked 6 days aweek. When her kids were young she would make 3 different meals at the same time and I asked her why? She informed me that each child w anted something different and they wouldn't eat certain things. Funny thing is when they would be at my house they would eat the one meal I prepared. I just laughed and said well if you have the time and energy. I told her kids will not starve themselves. They will eat if they are hungry. Get rid of the junk food. Don't buy it. Well she changed her tune about the ages of 6 with her kids. They eat anything now.

FreeSpirits713
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:34 PM

i have this prob too. my doc said not to force them to eat anything. if theyre hungry they will eat. maybe theyre going through a growth spurt. i wouldnt worry unless theyre underweight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)