Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone ever have a cyst in their wrist?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM
  • 6 Replies

So may hand started hurting really bad last week.  I went to the ER about it and they did xrays and found out its not cracked or broke.  But they found a cyst in my wrist.  The pain has been soooo bad.  They gave me anti inflammatory and pain meds which arent working.  I have also been wearing a brace.  TodayI went to my family dr and they are sending me to a orthodpedic dr to have it checked out..they said I might need an MRI on it.  They are also taking me off the anti inflammtory and putting me on a steroid to reduce the swelling.  the steroid shot they gave me today has worked!  YAY!  No pain right now!  So anyways...has anyone ever experienced this before??

Not Perfect

by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
isra1986
by on May. 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I had one where my middle finger met me hand when I was in high school. I ended up getting it taken out. They said they usually pop on their own, but after a year, mine didn't!
I actually watched them do the surgery, it was a big yellow ball they took out, I was in pain for a day or 2, rested my hand for a few more days and now it's just a scar :)
Good luck!

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I have. a few weeks of an anti-inflammatory and immobilization worked. it takes more than a week tho. they just drain it if that doesn't work, an MRI seems like an unnecessary expense for whats' likely just a ganglion cyst.

katiebug840204
by on May. 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Quoting teri4lance:

I have. a few weeks of an anti-inflammatory and immobilization worked. it takes more than a week tho. they just drain it if that doesn't work, an MRI seems like an unnecessary expense for whats' likely just a ganglion cyst.

I guess we will see what the orthopedic dr says.  I cant do anything with my hand at all.  And its my right hand that i do everything with.  I have an almost 2 yr old and 2 older kids so me being immobile for lord knows how long isnt an option...and the pain I am having with it...I cant handle it.  I will let them do whatever they think they need to do exceot throw a book on it like I read about!

Not Perfect

minimom11107
by on May. 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM

I had gangleon (sp?) cysts on both of my wrists, where my thumb meets my wrist. I called them my other thumbs! lol  One was about the size of a pea and the other a small grape, not noticable at all. They bothered me sometimes but they were never really painful. When I got pregnant with my first they just disappeared. My SO and I joked around the baby had absorbed them and he'd be born with 2 little stubs next to his thumbs. I was told I could have them go in and drain them but I opted not too.

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Quoting katiebug840204:

Quoting teri4lance:

I guess we will see what the orthopedic dr says.  I cant do anything with my hand at all.  And its my right hand that i do everything with.  I have an almost 2 yr old and 2 older kids so me being immobile for lord knows how long isnt an option...and the pain I am having with it...I cant handle it.  I will let them do whatever they think they need to do exceot throw a book on it like I read about!

immobilizing your wrist isn't as disruptive as you may think - you get used to it - it's jsut a wrist brace that keeps you from bending it - no sling or anything. you can still use your hand etc, just not bend it. you have to give anti-inf longer than a week to really work on things like this. but if they do drain it, it's jsut a big needle, no surg or anything.

Without ME there would be no awesome!

katiebug840204
by on May. 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Yeah thats what I read about.  BUT my insurance is only temporary so I might ask them to do the full surgery to remove the whole thing so it wont come back cause I read that if they just use a needle and drain it that it will come back at some point.

Quoting teri4lance:

Quoting katiebug840204:

Quoting teri4lance:

immobilizing your wrist isn't as disruptive as you may think - you get used to it - it's jsut a wrist brace that keeps you from bending it - no sling or anything. you can still use your hand etc, just not bend it. you have to give anti-inf longer than a week to really work on things like this. but if they do drain it, it's jsut a big needle, no surg or anything.

Not Perfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)