Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Computer smart people...

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

If I have an ATT Modem...and it has a green "data" cable...that looks EXACTLY like a phone cable...and it goes bad...can I replace it with a phone cable from Walmart?

by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kk_bella
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM
You can sure try.
brfischer79
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Is it your ethernet cord?

FooLynRoo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM

if its not a dial up modem you need to get a cat 5 cable not a phone wire.

Nzumbe
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Is it thicker than a phone cord?  If so, it's your ethernet cable and you can go to Walmart to get a replacement.  Same if it's a phone cord.

Stevensmomma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM

NO that's your Ethernet cord that is completely diff than a phone cable you can go to walmart in the computer dept and get a ethernet cable sometimes they come in blue and green

RendevouzDreams
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM

B/F has question. He is a cable/phone man. If thats the cord that goes from the wall jack to the modem then yes. How ever if it is the cord that goes from the modem to your comp then you need a patch cord. And you can get that at Walmart too.

jillbailey26
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM

To be safe, I would take the cable in so that you can match it perfectly.  I have AT&T too, so I know the cable you're talking about.  If it doesn't work, just take it back to Walmart.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LiesLiesLies
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Quoting Stevensmomma:

NO that's your Ethernet cord that is completely diff than a phone cable you can go to walmart in the computer dept and get a ethernet cable sometimes they come in blue and green

But they are exactly like a phone cable...it fits into the phone jack.

I know what a ethernet cable looks like...and thats not it.

amberv
by on May. 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Quoting Stevensmomma:

But they are exactly like a phone cable...it fits into the phone jack.

I know what a ethernet cable looks like...and thats not it.

you can just get a phone cord my mom had this happen and she just grabbed one out of the attic and it worked!

theycallmemom4
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Just take it to Wal-mart and ask one of the employees..someone will know. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)