Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding and Bathrooms Do NOT Mix (Writeup)

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

This sort of ties in with the whole BH&G situation that's a hot topic today. This is a writeup on a blog that I follow about how really disgusting it is to nurse in a bathroom. My face cringed up so bad upon reading it my husband walked over to me and looked at the computer screen to see what I was looking at, LOL! I think it had a lot to do with the photo more than anything else. This was NOT written by me (though I would love to be the brain behind the experiment), again it is something I stumbled upon.

Source: http://codenamemama.com/2010/05/24/breastfeeding-and-bathrooms/

Every time you flush your toilet, an aerosol spray of water droplets – laden with bits of feces and urine – explodes into the bathroom.

An environmental microbiologist who studied the phenomenon said that close-up photographs of these bacterial and viral heavy projectiles look like “Baghdad [did] at night during a U.S. air attack.” “[S]ignificant quantities of microbes float[] around the bathroom for at least two hours after each flush.” 1

In a public bathroom, that means the air is continuously blasted by feces droplets.

What’s more? Women’s public restrooms contain twice as much fecal matter as men’s, probably due to the fact that there is the added contamination of soiled tampons and pads, and women are more likely to be dragging in “small children[] and babies in need of a change.” 2

And how did that microbiologist measure the fecal fall-out? By placing gauze pads on the floors of bathrooms and then recording what he found.

If it lands on a gauze pad, it will land on your toothbrush. It will land on the sink. It will land on you.

It will also land on the breast of the mother and the lips of the baby that you just asked to breastfeed in the bathroom. 3

That’s not just gross, it is dangerous. “Food-borne pathogens[, including those found in fecal matter,] cause 6.5 million cases of gastroenteritis and 9,000 deaths per year.” 4

Bathrooms are no place for breastfeeding mothers and babies.

In fact, almost every state in the United States has enacted a law to protect a mother’s right to nurse her child anywhere, whether that is in her home or in the booth across the restaurant. 5

So if you happen to see a mother nursing her child in a restaurant, smile and go back to your salad.

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Wistful
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM

THANK YOU for posting this!!!! :)

SoCalMel
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Quoting Wistful:

THANK YOU for posting this!!!! :)

No problem! I haven't ever, and wouldn't ever, and this just makes me 10,000 times happier that I didn't!

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM

throwing up

Wistful
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

throwing up

Exactly! Poo particles anyone??!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

SoCalMel
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

throwing up

My thoughts EXACTLY!

Wistful
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

BUMP!

sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I NEVER BF my baby in the bathroom. Ever. Even in my house there is nothing on the sinks because I always felt like the water splashed everywhere when you flush...........

so gross, glad to know I was right

katie1204
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM

the only time i see it ok to breastfeed in the bathroom is where places have a separate room with couches. our church was like that. you had to go through a door to get to it too. otherwise, its just gross. who eats in a bathroom??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)