Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one? Kind of a S/O about being afraid

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM
  • 37 Replies

First this is not meant to offend anyone at all, so I really hope that it doesn't.  Am I the only one who isn't terrified of walking somewhere by myself or just with my daughter?  I have seen two posts on here today about being afraid while walking alone or with your kids and having guns/knives/ tasers/etc.   I don't know if it is because I am just blissfully stupid or because I believe that if something is going to happen it is going to happen regardless for the most part.  Maybe I should be more concerned about it, my daughter (2) and I go on walks by ourselves all of the time and I never think what the next person I see may or may not do to either of us.  We walk down along the trail in our city, it is secluded and right by the river, it would be so easy for someone to do anything to us but still I don't think about it.  When I see someone else walking or running I just smile and say hello.  I can't be the only one like this can I?  Perhaps I am too trusting. 

by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZoeCY
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM

BUMP!

FooLynRoo
by on May. 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Ive never been afraid to walk anywhere with my son when he was younger, and definatly not now that he's older and a black belt.

aydensmommy326
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:00 PM

depends on were ppl live i guess. i would feel perfectly safe walking down the street in the town i grew up in, but not down the street my mom lives on. 

robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM

where I am right now I feel safe..but where I lived a while ago I didnt feel safe and it was only because of the area where I was living. I had to walk to places casue at the time I didnt have my licesnse and my daugter and I would need things during the day while my husband was at work and I would have to walk to the store to get what we needed and I would always look over my shoulder just caue I didnt feel 100% safe in that area. But the place we moved to after that I felt safe and I would take my daughter for a walk, to the park all over the place.

jeanellensmommy
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I walk with my 2 year old daughter most places we go. We do not have a vehicle. My family tried to talk me out of moving where I moved because they'd heard all sorts of horror stories about the area. I'm actually somewhat familiar with it. We live very close to a main road, the library is accross the road, and the stores we go to are within 2 miles.

Yeah, I get stange people talking to me, but I just hurry past. The one time I had a strange feeling about someone, I took out my cell phone and called someone.

n03z07l08
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM

We walk everywhere. I dont own a gun or pepper spray or even a dog lol. If someone is afraid to walk in their own neighborhood they should move.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I live in a small quiet town, I used to walk 2 miles in the dark through  wooded areas, 9 months pregnant to meet DH at work. Occasionally I will take the kids down the street at night to visit friends.

I do carry pepper spray but only because there are cougars in the area.

ZoeCY
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Yeah that makes sense.  I guess there are certain areas in other towns that I wouldn't want to walk by myself at night. 

Quoting aydensmommy326:

depends on were ppl live i guess. i would feel perfectly safe walking down the street in the town i grew up in, but not down the street my mom lives on. 

Finallyamomx2
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM

People get attacked even in the nicest neighborhoods, in busy parking lots, on streets with a high volume of traffic, everywhere. I read a story on here of a woman being raped behind a police station. It only takes a second for someone to snatch you or your child. There are sickos everywhere just waiting for the chance to get their next victim. Does that mean that it is inevitable that you will run across someone like that in your life? Not at all. It probably isn't likely that you will ever be attacked. But there is always the chance it could. I would bet that most people who have been attacked, never thought it would ever happen to them. People need to stop being so naive and blindly walking around unprepared. Do you lock your doors when you go to bed at night? Do you have smoke alarms in your house? Do you wear a seatbelt and put your kids in car seats? Chances are nothing will happen that you will need any of those things either. But you still take those safety precautions, because it is better to be safe than sorry. Would it weigh you down so very much to carry a can of pepper spray, or wear a safety alarm or whistle around your neck?  I'm not saying you should live in fear and never go outside of your house. Just take precautions, be prepared, be aware, be cautious, stop walking around clueless possibly being some sickos next victim.

jeni0323
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Exactly.... we have a pit bull so no one is breaking in to my house lol

Quoting n03z07l08:

We walk everywhere. I dont own a gun or pepper spray or even a dog lol. If someone is afraid to walk in their own neighborhood they should move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)