Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A passport for a baby?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Next March my DH and I are going to Japan for my SIL's wedding. We are leaving our two older one's here with my mom, they are too little to remember the trip really, and their tickets are $1200 a piece! We will have a 3 mo old, that of course has to go, since I BF. I know that s/he will need a passport, but how long does that take? Has anyone had to get a passport for a baby before? I am going to get mine next week. And then we will book our tickets, but I don't know if I can book the babies seat yet! Will have to have a seat,for the car seat and it is a 15hr + flight altogether. But when I went to the site, it wants SSN and Passport number. Which I won't have yet! Any advice would be GREAT!

pregnancy calendar

baby development

baby
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jessasmamma
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM

call the airline, they should be able to reserve the seat for your unborn child.. i would talk to them about checking the carseat and getting a bassinet in the bulkhead seating tho... much more convenient. good luck!

psychessun
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM

4 weeks usually, to get a passport.  If you have tix you can get expedited passport.  costs a little more.

clovismommy25
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Thank you!

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Definitely call the airline to reserve the seat. Ask if you can be seating where the baby will have access to a bassinet. I've done the 15 hour plane trip [ 'cept mine was to Australia ].

As for the passport, there's two things you can do. You can either get the baby put on your current passport [ You will have to contact your local post office about this. Rather, the ones that do passports ]. Or, the baby can have their own passport that will last them for 5 years. It's about $180-$200. You can pay extra to expedite the passport, so it'll only take about a week. Otherwise it will probably be 2 weeks or so before you get it in the mail. When you go to get the pictures taken, be careful what you dress the baby in. You may need to bring the baby in the carseat. For my DD, they left her in the carseat, on top of a chair, and had me lift it slightly. Then took a few pics to send in. Hope this helps

bensmum25
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM

We had to get a passport for my 4 month old to go to Australia, a 13 hour flight. It took about 3 weeks to get it, you need their SSN and Birth Certificate, both parents have to be present....and it's good for 5 years....which really confused me. Lol. Also the airline should provide a baby bassinet for you, which is amazing. They hook onto the wall of the airplane and my ds slept in his for a lot of the time. GL!!

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Quoting bensmum25:

We had to get a passport for my 4 month old to go to Australia, a 13 hour flight. It took about 3 weeks to get it, you need their SSN and Birth Certificate, both parents have to be present....and it's good for 5 years....which really confused me. Lol. Also the airline should provide a baby bassinet for you, which is amazing. They hook onto the wall of the airplane and my ds slept in his for a lot of the time. GL!!

It was 15 hours for my flight to Oz, LOL. And yes, you do need the SSN and Birth Cert, but you don't need both parents. Then again, my SO was in Australia so he couldn't be there during the passport process. It's only 5 years because the child is going to change a LOT in that time. If you get United Airlines, make sure to double check your tickets before you get on. They changed mine last minute and put me in the back of the plane, then told me to just strap my 5 month in in the seat next to mine! They refused to move me where I could have access to a bassinet, which I PAID for in the first place.

Hope you have a wonderful trip :)

lcappytan05
by on May. 25, 2010 at 6:33 AM

For me, since my son was born here in Germany, I had to wait to get the SSN until I had gotten his passport.

But the whole process was different since he was born abroad...I had to fill out mass amounts of paperwork to change all his birth stuff to American rather than German.

Anyways, good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)