Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Because I'm parinoid...

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is 5 weeks old and a lot of times she gets hungry after I take her out of her sling in the parking lot so I sit in the car and feed her before we leave.  So I was sitting there feeding her today and had this terrible vision of someone hitting our parked car (we were in the Costco parking lot) and the air bags going off and killing my baby girl.  So my question is will air bags go off if the car is in park?  I can't imagine them going off with the car turned off but would they?  Does anybody know?  Do I need to move my nursing to the back seat?  I know, crazy thing to worry about but I am SO parinoid when it comes to air bags and my kids!

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I think they go off at any impact but i dont know for sure.   Why cant you feed her before you leave the house or inside the store?  You may want to move to the back seat just in case since it will make you feel safer.

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I do feed her before we leave the house.  I feed on demand and usually in stores she is sound asleep in her wrap so only once we get out to the car does she want to nurse.  She wakes up when I take her out of it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think they go off at any impact but i dont know for sure.   Why cant you feed her before you leave the house or inside the store?  You may want to move to the back seat just in case since it will make you feel safer.

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

theirmommy88
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I think they have to be going at a certain speed, so even if your engine is running (say in the winter to keep the car warm) I don't think the air bags would deploy. Also, I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that you have to be hit head on for them to go off? I'd have to google that. But I'm pretty sure if you're just sitting there nothing would happen with the air bags. And just so you are aware, air bags are powdered with a potentially cancer causing substance. Which is why tow truck drivers tape off the windows of wrecked cars. So they don't breath too much of the substance. Not that you need something to 'worry' about. But I think everyone should be aware of it so if it happens they can be careful how much of it they breath in or something.

Mommy_Ray
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I would move to the backseat just incase. Even if they don't things malfunction. Better safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)