Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this appropriate?

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Appropriate?

Options:

Yes.

No.

Only if you know they are happy about it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 40

View Results

Every time I see a relationship status (on FB) go from "engaged" or "in a relationship" to "single", I "LIKE" their status. I want to congratulate them! I usually just say "good thing or bad thing?".... but I remember being in shitty drama-filled relationships and was always so happy to get out of them. Even if I didn't know it at the time, it was a relief.

So, "LIKING" a changed-to-single relationship status.. appropriate, or not?

Ask me how I can help turn your daughter into a PRINCESS!

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.heart.rachel
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM

BUMP!

babybee2007
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I'd say it's only "appropriate" if the person is happy about it...   if they aren't, they might just think you're being a bitch (even if you meant it in a good way.)

*Katie*
Proud Wife to Gabe and
Loving mom to Jared...
Expecting our baby girl in June!

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie - (S3lk)

If you like photography, art projects, design, and good food...
Check out my blog: Imaginative Mommy!

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM

i do it for my poor SIL because she goes from single to in a relationship and she's all kinds of happy and in love and talking about marriage and babies, then he always dumps her. (i think he's getting scared off actually) *he is every other man she's dated* then she'll get a gf and do the same thing. i'm just trying to encourage her when she's happy.

ETA: and she is happy right afterwards it's always "i dont need a man, he wasn't worth my time" so when she is saying that at the same time, yes i "like" it.

Gone, But Never Forgotten. Our Little Belle

beadingmom17
by Rachel on May. 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I said only if you know they're happy about it.  I have quite a few friends recently who are in the midst of getting or on the verge of getting divorced...those "single" statuses (stati?  what is the plural of status?!) I liked because I knew they were happy about it.  However, I have had friends who have been in relationships that ended and they were devastated about it, so I would comment with a "dislike button needed!" and some comforting words.

pinkbrooklyn
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM

When my best friend changed her status from "in a relationship" to "single" some of us sang the words to Beyonce's Single Ladies.  hahahahaha

It depends on who the person is actually. 

ajh629
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

i think it also depends largely on how well i know the person...i have commented or "liked" the relationship status before but only if i really know the person quite well...

MOMby19
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Quoting beadingmom17:

I said only if you know they're happy about it.  I have quite a few friends recently who are in the midst of getting or on the verge of getting divorced...those "single" statuses (stati?  what is the plural of status?!) I liked because I knew they were happy about it.  However, I have had friends who have been in relationships that ended and they were devastated about it, so I would comment with a "dislike button needed!" and some comforting words.

i agree with this.

superflyinlove
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM

"like" it and then leave a comment so explain it..

mommybug77

I would have asked 1st how they felt before I said I liked it.

DejaVooDoo

I would only "like" if I knew they were happy about it. They could still be hurting or devastated. Personally if you pressed my changed relationship status to "Single" I would THANK YOU for it :) But a lot of people don't see it that way. Some relationships end in bad ways and they just want to be consoled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)