Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for you moms that work third shift.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM
  • 19 Replies

when do you sleep?

im starting a new job and i work ten pm to six am sunday through thursday.

groupsiggy.jpg image by Mommabunch

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstnbecki
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I would get home about 6:30am, get my oldest up and ready for school, get him on the bus at 7:20 then wake the youngest up and get him ready and on the bus by 8:20 then I would go in and lay down untill 2pm then stay up untill I went back to work by 11 pm.it takes some getting use to but once your body gets use to it, its a piece of cake.

May I ask where your working? I hope its not a gas station.

Melame68
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:58 PM

you dont. i have done it as a single mom. i slept for about 2 hours a day

jothra
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Yuck! I have no clue what you are going to do! I work only Sat and Sun night, come home and sleep 8:30 am-1 pm on Mondays and then get up with the boys. DH stays home until then.

brittany89
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:00 AM

tim hortons, its a coffee shop if you havent heard of it. im a single mom of a 2 year old so shes home all day. im thinking ill get about 2-3 hours depending how long she sleeps in she usually sleeps til 8 or 9 and sometimes naps.

smarshy
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I worked graveyard in a factory when I was pregnant. But I would work 10 to 7am and would sleep.....

10am to 7pmish?

It blew. I couldn't do it with LOs not in my belly.

Finallyamomx2
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I only work every other weekend fri8p-7a sat 3p-9p sun10a-8pm and mon 8p-5a. My kids are toddlers. My husband lets them stay up late on the nights I work so they will sleep later the next morning. But still, on my 3rd shift nights, I only get 4 or 5 hours sleep. And you can't really catch up on your sleep on your days off, it just doesn't work like that.

mstnbecki
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM

yes I know what Tim Hortons is, I actually applied for a Job there once.

Quoting brittany89:

tim hortons, its a coffee shop if you havent heard of it. im a single mom of a 2 year old so shes home all day. im thinking ill get about 2-3 hours depending how long she sleeps in she usually sleeps til 8 or 9 and sometimes naps.

eeyorerdl
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I worked 3rd shift, 10pm-6am, at a well known convenience store for 18 months.  I would get home by 6:30, get my dd up and ready for school and on the bus by 8am.  By about 9 or 10am after I get myself something to eat, I go to bed till about 3:30pm get dd off the bus at 4pm.  start dinner wait for SO to get home anywhere from 5pm-7pm.  As soon as he got home, I'm off to bed for a nap till 9pm and it starts all over again.

It's hard to get used to it.  It's not bad at first, but then you realize how much sleep you DON'T get...I managed, but struggled.  I would get two days off a week (average) but when I get off at 6am, I don't really consider that a day off, cuz I get so tired I either sleep the day away or can't enjoy it!

After a year and a half, my body was still out of whack.  Been off 3rd shift for about a month now, and just now getting back to normal!  GOOD LUCK!!!

unspecified42
by on May. 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I work 7pm-7:30am 3 days a week (I'm a nurse). I am home in time to get him ready and take him to school, then I sleep while he's there from about 9 until 2-4 (depending on whether I pick him up on time or he goes to after school care). I don't really miss any time with him except that I have to work Fri-Sat-Sun every other weekend. I treat myself and sleep later (usually 3 or 4) on those days and see him for a few hours in the evenings before leaving again for work,

I've been on nights for a year and a half now. The first few months were ok, then the next few months were rough. Now I've stopped obsessing about hours and don't think about it too much and I function just fine. I love my nights. It would take a LOT to make ms switch to days!

Jellybean82
by on May. 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I work 3 12's, 7p to 7a.  I sleep while my kids are at school.  If I work on the weekend, then I sleep from when I get home until about 3, then I get up and spend a couple hours with my family.  Sometimes I don't get very much sleep.  When I'm off I try to transition back to my family's schedule, but sometimes I can't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)