Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helpity help help help! I'm desperate for help!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 44 Replies

First a little background:

My son was born full term weighing 4lbs 15oz.  He was intolerant to breastmilk from the start.  The first 8 weeks of his life he gained 5lbs and until he was a year old gained weight at at steady rate.

To the present:

In the last year my son has gained 1lb.  That's it just one.  He has grown 3 inches.  His doctor is not concerned at all that he has gone from being in the 75th percentile for weight and height to being in the 25th-50th percentile for height and only the 10th for weight. 

Last week my son was diagnosed with Celiac disease.  He has been on a Gluten free diet since he was tested in February.  Although his tests came back negative I put him on the diet anyway to see if it would help with his symptoms.  It did so I kept him on it and his doctor diagnosed him as gluten intolerant.  To add to that mess he is also lactose intolerant and has been since birth.  He also will not eat meat of any kind no matter what I do to it.  His favorite foods are brown rice, corn pasta, peanut butter, fruit and vegetables.  He would rather eat salad than meat. 

How can I get him to gain weight?  I'm at a complete and utter loss. 

His doctor is completely unhelpful because she is not concerned.  If I could I would switch but no doctors in my area are accepting new medicaid patients.

I'm desperate for help.  I've tried looking for ideas online but have not found anything I haven't tried already.

If there is anything I have missed or if you have questions (I'm exhausted and not reading or thinking straight) please just ask.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aydensmommy326
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM

idk but here is a bump

AjsMom0508
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Thanks!

Quoting aydensmommy326:

idk but here is a bump

Lullababy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM

We have celiac disease, poor guy.  Try using flax oil to garnish instead of butter.  Coconut oil for cooking.  Almond milk is awesome stuff.  You can buy goat milk, yogurt, cheese- raw is best.  People who cannot handle cow can usually do raw goat, google raw goat milk and a site comes up where you can type in your area and there is a list of distributers.  Use good quality digestive enzymes and probiotics.  If he eats nut butters try almond, seed butters like sunflower.  Stay away from soy, it is so processed and usually has been grown w/ tons of pesticides.  I am sure there is more, I just need to think about what we do.  Oh, can he do coconut?  Add organic coconut to his diet.

ETA- organic free range eggs

Lilypie Maternity tickers
CutieBoysMommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM

pedia sure is gluten and lactose free.

savannahs1mom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM

avocados? idk sorry.

TawnyR
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lullababy

Carbs will not help him gain proper weight and good brain development.  How about wild caught salmon?  Not too fishy, all of my dc love it.

Lullababy

YES!

Quoting savannahs1mom:

avocados? idk sorry.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
JMVITT
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Change doctors.  You need a doctor who will listen to you and help you.  I changed my son's doctor 3 times in 6 months.  I don't mess around when it comes to my kids.

Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Have you called your Public Assistance department? I am getting someone out to my house on Thursday to evaluate my youngest for speech, hearing, and growth delays. They help.

I give you luck. My DH has celiac (though he doesn't like to admit it and doesn't always follow the diet) and Monkey has an allergy to dairy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)