Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When would you start TTC?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

So my DD is 8 months old. She was born with something called a diaphragmatic hernia, which means there was a hole in the right side of her diaphragm and as a result her liver was pressing down on her lung, because of this it didn't grow so she was in the NICU for 2 months, had her surgery at 10 weeks. Got off oxygen dependence at 12 weeks and had her NG tube removed about 2 months ago! She's doing awesome, but because of all these hardships and the fact that she has a chromosomal microdeletion that has been unresearched, and a cleft palate she is a little bit behind in her developmental milestones. She has been evaluated at a 4-5 month old level in all aspects. She is almost holding her head up by herself and her tummy time has literally like quadrupled in the last month. She's my lil soldier!

Anyways, my husband and I are trying to decide when to start TTC because originally we wanted our kiddos close together. The problem is, because we don't know how Scarlette will develop and grow we don't know when she will start walking and doing anything for herself. I really don't know how well I would do with an 18-24 month old and newborn both not walking! We are hoping and praying she will be walking by 18 months but we honestly have no idea. We were originally going to start TTC in July (before we knew anything), then we pushed it back to september and now we are thinking closer to March of next year. So when would you start TTC? And her condition is not hereditary, it was completely spontaneous. Our chance of having a normal kid is exactly the same as anyone else's. Thanks ladies!

Loving Mommy to Scarlette Jayden Skrove born 9-9-09, came home 11-06-09, and a CDH SURVIVOR! Wife to a First Class Petty Officer in the Navy (crossing our fingers for Chief in the next 2 months)!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDean
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM

After my second child we ttc right away. So my 2 youngest are 11 mos apart and I love it :)

catholicmamamia
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM

We wait until the 'baby' has its second birthday before considering/trying. 

breastfeeding.jpg breastfeeding image by evemarcelo     coexist.png coexist image by snowskichik            b209531870.jpg Pro Life image by bailey_has_adoptapox 

SkroveMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Quoting MsDean:

After my second child we ttc right away. So my 2 youngest are 11 mos apart and I love it :)

was your oldest walking by the time your newborn came? would you do it the same way in my situation?

ballerina18
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:53 AM

May I ask why you need/ want your DD to be walking by the time you have your newborn?

SkroveMomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Quoting ballerina18:

May I ask why you need/ want your DD to be walking by the time you have your newborn?

Just because I don't know how I would do it with two kids not walking!? LOL Is it not as hard as it sounds b/c I just think it would be crazy having two kiddos that don't get around on their own!

MsDean
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Well my dd (child #2) started walking after my youngest ds was born. I used a sling, snugglies, and a bjorn with my youngest so it was not so bad to go to stores, etc. In your situation I could see the hesitation to ttc with your dd condition but if you really want another child go for it. My kids are 2 and 3 now and they have so much fun together.

Quoting SkroveMomma:

Quoting MsDean:

was your oldest walking by the time your newborn came? would you do it the same way in my situation?

Me in a nutshell: *Married* *love reading* *hate going to theaters* *wine drinker* *SAHM*  *sometimes call my kids by the wrong name* *mom of 3 brats*

MsDean
by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Oh and I should add they make some awesome double strollers! I have a double jogging, sit and stand, but my new favorite os my Graco dualglider :)

Me in a nutshell: *Married* *love reading* *hate going to theaters* *wine drinker* *SAHM*  *sometimes call my kids by the wrong name* *mom of 3 brats*

ballerina18
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Quoting SkroveMomma:

Quoting ballerina18:

Just because I don't know how I would do it with two kids not walking!? LOL Is it not as hard as it sounds b/c I just think it would be crazy having two kiddos that don't get around on their own!

I only have 1 child, so I am not much help there ;) Lol. However, it seems these days with all of the double strollers, double seated car style grocery shopping carts and soft carriers that it is very do-able to have two children who don't walk.

Anyway, in my opinion..you and your husband should just do what you want as far as family planning. Everything else will work itself out ;)

Good luck!

nemiller
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM

i'd probably wait longer in that case.

as it is, my son is going to be 3 before we TTC #2.  he might even be closer to 3-1/2.  i never really had the hope that my children would be close together.  i wanted to wait until i felt like all 3 of us were prepared for a new baby, not plan on having a second baby at a certain time.  my son could still use the next 6 to 12 months to be little, and by the time i have our next child, he'll be in preschool so he will have his own things going on each day.  i think that's perfect timing for us.

dababiesdreams
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM
u have many things to consider.....like the fact that u could start now and not get prego until march 2 yrs from now or she may not walk until she is 4, her earlier problems may have set off a chain reaction and she may have problems with hitting milestones until she was 5 or she may decide she wants to get physical and is walking by 1 y/o. U have alot of "what ifs" when it comes to babies but more so with ones who have spontantious health problems.

I waited until my middle was turning 1 to start for my 3rd and it happened right away. My 3rd turned 1 in jan and we've been ttc#4 but so far no luck....if i was to get prego now my #3 & #4 would be 2 years apart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)