• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

donating breast milk

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM
  • 11 Replies

do you get paid to donate breast milk?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM

no, they do provide the pump, storage containers, and pay the shipping for the milk, etc.

Are You a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor?
                Click this link and join us!

Want Breastfeeding Gear, visit my shop:

http://www.cafepress.com/BFgear

tennisgal
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:10 AM

No, that's why it is donating and not selling (which I believe is illegal). The recipients will pay for shipping, storage and some will pay for a pump and other supplies. 

chelleybeans
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:16 AM

To get donated breastmilk it is free? So if I were unable to BF my next child I could get breastmilk for them for free? Is that correct?

Daynaof3
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM

People need to specify if they are meaning milk bank donated milk or private donor milk from something like milk share. It is very different. ETA: the mother doesn't receive compensation for donating milk in either circumstance though.

eema.gray
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Quoting chelleybeans:

To get donated breastmilk it is free? So if I were unable to BF my next child I could get breastmilk for them for free? Is that correct?

Depends.  If you were to get milk directly from another mom, yes, it would be "free" although you might help reimburse her expenses - lab testing for the milk, shipping, supplies, and so forth - and many women will do this sort of donation without any expectation of financial help.

However, if you go through a milk bank, you first need a prescription from your child's doctor.  There's a huge demand for milk from the milk banks so said prescriptions are usually reserved for preemie children and case by case after that.  Even when you do get the prescription, it's ridiculously expensive - on the order of 2 to 3 dollars an OUNCE - and your insurance will probably not reimburse the cost.  Since the average baby needs 24 to 30 ounces a day for a year, mimumum, you're looking at possibly as much as $300 day to get mother's milk through a milk bank, definitely not free, lol.  :-)

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

unspecified42
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I did not ask for compensation, no.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM

i was just asking because i believe you get paid to donate blood and sperm and things like that so i didn't see how breast milk is any different.

Quoting tennisgal:

No, that's why it is donating and not selling (which I believe is illegal). The recipients will pay for shipping, storage and some will pay for a pump and other supplies. 

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM

i dont think so, no. i considered it briefly after i found out that DD wouldn't live long, but i couldn't do it :(  it was just too hard to imagine, even if it meant another baby would be helped. i still feel badly about that.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM

No.

Daynaof3
by on May. 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I think as far as blood goes they only pay for donating plasma, but yeah you get nothing to donate breast milk.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

i was just asking because i believe you get paid to donate blood and sperm and things like that so i didn't see how breast milk is any different.

Quoting tennisgal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)