Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I finally talked DH into neutering the cat

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

Thank god because he sprays everywhere. DH's mom is a hoarder and he grew up with SIX cats so he can't smell it as well as I can. We keep the cat out of our room, the bathrooms and the baby's room so as to contain the area of damage to the common areas and to keep him from spraying her stuff. DH and I have been married for nearly three years and the cat is four. I brought him into the marriage, but at the time had never owned a male cat and did not know that they spray when they reach maturity. I still kind of need moral support though. I feel bad for my poor kitty cat, even though my house will fare better now.

I am a...

Cloth diapering, Breast Feeding, Selective Vaxxing, Co-sleeping, ERF to the MAX, non-CIO, Wiccan, Gay Rights Supporting, Outdoorsy, Crafty, Animal loving,  Girl Scout Supporting, College Educated, Army Wife, Other culture absorbing, liberal, SAHM, to one beautiful baby girl.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina18
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:42 AM

That is fantastic! Thank you for helping to control the pet population! Your cat will be healthier if he is neutered too!

Good luck to you and your cat!

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on May. 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Just so you know, that neutering him may or may not get him to stop spraying. Most cats that are neutered before they reach sexual maturity, will never start to spray.  A lot of the time, if they have already started to spray, they will continue after being neutered. It's still a good idea to get it done though. Just hope your cat is one of the ones that stops.

AngelicaRenee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Yep, this is what I was going to say.

We actually had a cat that was neutered as a kitten and when he got older sometimes out of the blue he'd just randomly spray something.

BUT it is good to have your cat fixed either way. If it doesn't stop the spraying, it should make is less frequent. But I hope for your sake he's one that will stop altogether!

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Just so you know, that neutering him may or may not get him to stop spraying. Most cats that are neutered by a certain age, will never start to spray.  A lot of the time, if they have already started to spray, they will continue after being neutered. It's still a good idea to get it done though. Just hope your cat is one of the ones that stops.

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Crazy Chris on May. 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM

For older cats, one study showed that
87% of all male cats stop spraying after castration
78% stop immediately
9% stop in a few months
13% keep spraying

acaisha
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM

you should really get a vet to do that not your husband...

iluv2meow
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:55 AM

YES! One cat done!

sharebearII
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Quoting ballerina18:

That is fantastic! Thank you for helping to control the pet population! Your cat will be healthier if he is neutered too!

Good luck to you and your cat!

He might not stop spraying, but it should cut down on it quite a bit.  At any rate, you're taking responsibility and doing the right thing about the pet population tragedy.  I wish more people would do the same...

While he's at the vet, I'd go around to his favorite spots and bleach if possible.  Really change the smell of the whole house if you can.  It will give you the best chance of it working well to stop him from spraying if he doesn't smell himself in the old places anymore.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:58 AM

LMAO

Quoting acaisha:

ballerina18
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Quoting sharebearII:

While he's at the vet, I'd go around to his favorite spots and bleach if possible.  Really change the smell of the whole house if you can.  It will give you the best chance of it working well to stop him from spraying if he doesn't smell himself in the old places anymore.

This is good advice.

Another thing to try is to put the cat's food and water in places that your cat normally would spray. I have read that cats wont spray where they eat. Perhaps you could put a few extra bowls of water in his usual spraying spots.

Good luck!

Gecko85
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:54 AM

lmao

Quoting acaisha:

I am a...

Cloth diapering, Breast Feeding, Selective Vaxxing, Co-sleeping, ERF to the MAX, non-CIO, Wiccan, Gay Rights Supporting, Outdoorsy, Crafty, Animal loving,  Girl Scout Supporting, College Educated, Army Wife, Other culture absorbing, liberal, SAHM, to one beautiful baby girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)