Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting tubes tied....

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ok Ladies, here is what I am thinking.....

A litttle background:

I am 36 yo.I have 2 children, a 11 yo dd and a 7 yo ds. I was with their dad for 13 yrs, married for 7. We will have been divorced for 7 come Nov. I just ended an engagement to a man I was with for 5 yrs. (that's another story! lol) I have serious back problems, I just had my second surgery 3 wks ago and it probably won't be my last. I really don't have the itch to have any more kids and I seriously doubt that my back could endure a pregnancy or caring and running around after a small children. My doctor will not put me on the pill bc I have high cholesterol even though it is well controlled with medication.

So....I am thinking of having a tubal ligation. My insurance will cover it. I looked it up online and it is outpatient surgery and only takes a few days to recover so I could have it done on a Friday and probably go back to work on Monday.

Have any of you had this done? How was your recovery?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csnook
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:11 AM

i havnt had it yet so here is a bump.

turtletastik
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM

I had one but it was done during my last csection. The only thing that happened was it changed my periods for the worse...I still preffer that to having another baby.

blindfoldedlady
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Sorry, haven't had it done, but I'm seriously considering it. I'm only 26 and have 1 kid. If you think that's what's right for you, do it. If not, hold off.

Caladan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:32 AM

I was checking out some other posts about having your tubes tied and they were talking about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome...scary stuff. ...I googled it and now I am reconsidering having this done. I think my sister may have this. Ugh...I don't know what to do. I mean I want to start dating again and while I would use a condom even if I had the tubal done, I am afraid that just a condom might not be enough insurance that I don't get pregnant. Grrrrr..I am very frustrated and confused.

turtletastik
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:43 AM

I honestly think it is the best thing I have done. All birth control has its side effects but I think tubals are safer than pills and other devices.

Quoting Caladan:

I was checking out some other posts about having your tubes tied and they were talking about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome...scary stuff. ...I googled it and now I am reconsidering having this done. I think my sister may have this. Ugh...I don't know what to do. I mean I want to start dating again and while I would use a condom even if I had the tubal done, I am afraid that just a condom might not be enough insurance that I don't get pregnant. Grrrrr..I am very frustrated and confused.

Caladan
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Thanks for the reply...I guess the internet can be good and bad....lots of info, but also can scare the crap out of you! I'm going to make an appt to talk to my doctor and see what she says.

Quoting turtletastik:

I honestly think it is the best thing I have done. All birth control has its side effects but I think tubals are safer than pills and other devices.

Quoting Caladan:

Susan262
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:52 AM

I think talking to you Dr. is the best idea.  I had a tubal with my C-Section and have never had any problems.

mysteriousdaze
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:03 AM

I haven't but I am planning to soon. I am planning on going with Essure method as it has the highest rated protection from unplanned pregnancy. I would look into this option instead of a normal tubal ligation which has a much longer recovery time than the Essure method and only requires a simple Dr. visit rather than surgery. Wish you luck! Like you, my back could not stand a third pregnancy, nor do DH and I want anymore children. 

mykidsrock234
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Same for me. I love having my tubes tied. I can handle the pain once a month lol

Quoting turtletastik:

I had one but it was done during my last csection. The only thing that happened was it changed my periods for the worse...I still preffer that to having another baby.

4grlshelp
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:31 AM

i never had no problem and never noticed except i could enjoy sex without the worry of getting preggo again  i think it was a great move and glad i did it  but i never had no problems at all good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)