• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I've seen there's a big debate.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:14 AM
  • 18 Replies

About illegals being here. Personally, I don't think they should be here. They cost our country and citizens millions of dollars per year.

BUT I just have one simple question, and this mostly goes for the 'they have every right to be here' crowd.

Why can't they just come here legally?  Why risk everything, and possibly lose it?

Plenty of immigrants before them have done it. I worked with people that were here on a work visa from Mexico. They said it's not that hard. So wouldn't it be easier to just do it the right way?? Seems like the easier way for everyone, all the way around. Don't give me the crap they have right to what we have: food, clothing, shelter, etc. Yep, they do...in their country. If they come here, they should do it legally, and no one will have a problem. Then they can quit crying about being treated unfairly. If you're here illegally, you are BREAKING A LAW. You should be treated no better than a criminal because that is WHAT YOU ARE. Period.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chiquis
by Diamond Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Not that hard to get a work visa? Oy.

Yeah it IS hard for some.

texas_mum
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:18 AM

One would have to be educated on economics, first of all, and politics, second of all, to even understand this question.  Human beings are human beings, as one of my best friends says. 

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:20 AM

lol.. sorry, I just find it amusing that it's "not that hard" to get a work visa. SO wouldn't be able to get one, and he graduated Uni [ otherwise College for those in the states ]. Which is another reason why I had to move to Australia.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:21 AM

WEll I am one that says it should be easier to get in this country if you are not a criminal. That said if anyone knows what the process is to become a American citizen I would love to hear or learn about it.

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Quoting texas_mum:

One would have to be educated on economics, first of all, and politics, second of all, to even understand this question.  Human beings are human beings, as one of my best friends says. 

Which makes me laugh more at the fact my SO knows more about the US than "I" do, and I'm a US citizen LOL

DalmatianStars
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM

Quoting misssy2000:

WEll I am one that says it should be easier to get in this country if you are not a criminal. That said if anyone knows what the process is to become a American citizen I would love to hear or learn about it.

I think it depends. I know a friend of mine moved out of the US to stay with her boyfriend in Belgium, before they eventually got engaged, then married. They've been in Belgium the last two years because it was the only way she could come back to the US with her DH legally. The papers will take them another 6 months before he is fully legal.

texas_mum
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Quoting DalmatianStars:

Quoting texas_mum:

Which makes me laugh more at the fact my SO knows more about the US than "I" do, and I'm a US citizen LOL

There is a "test" that most college graduates could not pass and a very hefty financial cost in order to become a "legal."  Good gosh, do people not know what their own history is? 

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 4:27 AM

So I found this:

USCIS Process

Follow These Easy Steps to Become a U.S. Citizen!

USCitizenship.info is dedicated to teaching you how to become a U.S. Citizen in the clearest, most accurate way possible. The entire naturalization process is outlined below.

How Long Does the Process Take?

Depending on where and when you choose to file your application, the period of time between sending in the completed application and the interview to become a U.S. Citizen can vary from five months to more than two years.

The swearing-in ceremony for receiving the naturalization certificate will then take place from 1 to 180 days after the interview, although in a few U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly known as the INS) district offices, it can take another one or two years.

The length of time for the entire process depends on the number of U.S. Citizenship applications the USCIS offices receive in each state. Additionally, making a mistake on your application can cost you even more time. However, by using our unique do-it-yourself service, you will be assisted throughout the entire process - helping you prevent costly mistakes to your application.

Start  Your Application
US  Passport Photo 1. Submit Your Complete Application
  • Complete and print your U.S. Citizenship application form on USCitizenship.info
  • Follow our customized filing instructions to
Citizenship Finger Print 2. Get Fingerprinted
  • Receive an acknowledgement letter from the USCIS that they received your application
  • Go to the fingerprinting location specified in the letter from the USCIS on the scheduled date and time to get your fingerprints taken
  • Send any additional documents to the USCIS that they may have requested in the letter
Citizenship Interview Exam 3. Attend USCIS Interview & Take Tests
  • Receive an interview appointment letter from the USCIS
  • Go to the interview location specified in the letter from the USCIS on the scheduled date and time for the interview
  • Bring identification and any additional documents that the USCIS may have requested in the letter
  • Answer interview questions about your application and background
  • Take the English & Civics Tests (Receive the 100 sample questions and answers FREE when you purchase our service!)
  • Await a decision from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Get U.S. Citizenship Test & Interview Guide
USCIS Citizenship Oath 4.Take the Oath to Become a U.S. Citizen
  • Receive a ceremony date letter from the USCIS
  • Check in at the ceremony location specified in the letter from the USCIS on the scheduled date and time
  • Return your Permanent Resident Card
  • Answer questions about what you have done since your interview
  • Take the Oath of Allegiance
  • Receive your Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enjoy your new life as a United States Citizen!

twindelight
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:28 AM

It takes money that a lot of the illegals don't have. & those that say get married & you get your green card, nope. My sister had started dating this guy & he was illegal & so she figured if she married him he would be legal then. It's a huge process to get your card. (He was from Mexico) So your stupid 'it's not so hard' self should really go research what you 'think' you know so much abou t before you come in here making an ass outta yourself asking 'but why???' just STFU

blindfoldedlady
by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:41 AM

Quoting twindelight:

It takes money that a lot of the illegals don't have. & those that say get married & you get your green card, nope. My sister had started dating this guy & he was illegal & so she figured if she married him he would be legal then. It's a huge process to get your card. (He was from Mexico) So your stupid 'it's not so hard' self should really go research what you 'think' you know so much abou t before you come in here making an ass outta yourself asking 'but why???' just STFU

First of all, I didn't say it wasn't hard to get into this country. I said it wasn't that hard to get a WORK VISA....which came directly from people that I worked with at a factory that came from Mexico. Not my opinion, since I never had to get one. Obviously, I don't know what it takes to get into this country since I was born and raised here. All I wanted to know was WHY it was so hard to just come here legally. So YOU can STFU, thanks. :)

I wanted to know why they can't just come here legally. I think it's a big problem. So I asked why. Obviously you won't be the one to enlighten me. I feel like people that come here not only cheat our citizens and government, but the people from their home country who DID come here legally, and spent the time to do it properly.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)