Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you stand?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:33 AM
  • 67 Replies

I just thought it might be interesting to see where everyone stands on all the hot topics here on CM.  So where do you stand on:

Abortion?

Public Assistance?

Politics?

Illegal Aliens?

ERF (Extended Rear-Facing carseats)?

Religion?

Gun Control?

Spanking?

Health Care?

Public v. Private Schools?

Breastfeeding?

Also, feel free to add your stance on any topics I may have missed.  I'm on my way to work, so I will check back and answer for myself later.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Quoting Beatlemama:

I just thought it might be interesting to see where everyone stands on all the hot topics here on CM.  So where do you stand on:

Abortion? Pro Choice... I do not believe that the government should have any say in what a person does UNTIL and UNLESS that *something* infringes on the rights of another. I do not personally believe that a fetus is a person with rights until it is viable outside of the host.

Public Assistance? Okay when used out of necessity. Ridiculous when made a lifestyle. Needs reform.

Politics? Personally conservative, politically Libertarian

Illegal Aliens? Give them an ultimatum... become a citizen within a year or get out.

ERF? Not something I am going to do... I think... I'm not entirely sure. I need to do some more research.

Religion? I am Roman Catholic. I believe that my religion is right for ME and MY family. I am not so arrogant as to believe that it is the only right way for everyone.

Gun Control? I believe that citizens should retain the right to own guns.

Spanking? We do not spank, smack, slap or otherwise hit our children. Ever.

Health Care? I think that all children should be eligible for a Medicaid-type insurance program if their parents have no insurance... but only because they are innocents in all of this. I believe that insurance in general should stay private.

Public v. Private Schools? We prefer private schools... when there is a good private school option.

Breastfeeding? I think breastfeeding is great... if that is what a woman wants to do. I breastfeed. My sister doesn't. No big difference between our children lol.

Also, feel free to add your stance on any topics I may have missed.  I'm on my way to work, so I will check back and answer for myself later.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our children that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

anetrnlov
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Abortion?  Pro-choice

Public Assistance?  If you actually need it, use it but don't abuse it

Politics?  Depends on the issue...mainly, middle of the road.

Illegal Aliens?  Sympathetic to the situation...we need major changes in our immigration process

ERF?  Go for it

Religion?  Everyone has their own path that they need to find/follow.

Gun Control?  Way too damn easy for felons and other criminals to get their hands on guns.  I think private citizens should be able to protect themselves.

Spanking?  Find the disciplinary method that works for you and your child

Health Care?  System sucks, needs BIG changes

Public v. Private Schools?  Find the teaching method/institution that works for your child and run with it

Breastfeeding?  If you can do it, at least try it

momto3infl
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM

stand on:

Abortion?  pro choice

Public Assistance?  dont have an opinion

Politics?  Democrate- Obama Momma

Illegal Aliens?  depends on my day

ERF?  disagree with it for me-but dont care what other parents feel as long as they are not trying to push their belives on me.

Religion?  dont care what others feel as long as they are not pushy about their beliefs, because I dont push mine.

Gun Control?  No thoughts

Spanking?  All For

Health Care? All For plans like Canada or England

Public v. Private Schools?  Public

Breastfeeding?  Dont have an opinion

CasandraFinlay
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Abortion?

** I couldn't have one, but who am I to tell someone else that they have no right to choose. It's NONE of our business what other women do with their bodies.

Public Assistance?

** If you need it, GET IT. But, please, be responsible with it.

Politics?

** don't discuss it at the dinner table

Illegal Aliens?

** We need better VISA, green card and US citizenship reforms.

ERF?

** Go ahead.

Religion?

** don't discuss it at the dinner table.

Gun Control?

** If you need it, GET IT. But, please, be responsible with it.

Spanking?

** Every family is different and so is every child. What works for some, won't work for all.

Health Care?

** will put us in debt like France... but then again.... we are already in the red.

Public v. Private Schools?

** Every family is different and so is every child. What works for some, won't work for all.

Breastfeeding?

** I support it... but don't be mad because someone else chose formula. It's NONE of our business what other women do with their bodies.

MikeysMom51108
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Abortion? Pro-Choice for many reasons, but that's a whole post in itself.

Public Assistance? Think it needs to be fixed, but if there were better regulations and rules, it would be a wonderful program. As it is, it allows too many people to abuse it.

Politics? Don't follow politics too much--but, generally lean to the left when I do. Registered Democrat, but don't necessarily agree with them on all the issues.

Illegal Aliens? Should be made easier to become legal, but as it stands, illegals are breaking the law and should be handled like anyone else who breaks a law.

ERF? Not against it, but didn't do it with my son. I understand why some are so passionate about it.

Religion? Not a big religious person. I believe what I believe. Mostly, my beliefs coincide with Judaism, but I do sway some on certain things. **ETA: I believe religion should be kept out of public schools (unless they intend to teach about ALL religions, including less popular ones) and government.

Gun Control? No problem with gun control, but don't think guns should be made illegal.

Spanking? If it works, do it. But, remember, there's a difference between spanking and beating--some take it too far.

Health Care? Not sure where I stand on this. Husband and I have had many debates, and I just don't know.

Public v. Private Schools? To each their own. The public school system kind of sucks, but not everyone (including myself) can afford private schools.

Breastfeeding? All for it. It is better than formula (that's coming from someone who formula fed from 8 weeks on), but I understand that some women can't or choose not to BF, and it's their choice. Doesn't make them any less of a mother.

Lois.
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Quoting Beatlemama:

Abortion?  i can totally understand why people feel the need to do it, but its wrong.

Public Assistance?  if you need it get it.  Id rather you have it then someone in the country who hasn't gone through the process to legally be here.

Politics?  don't follow them.

Illegal Aliens?  if you're going to come here, then you need to do it the right way.  if you are goign to go through the process , go back where you came from....

ERF?  weird.

Religion?  christian

Gun Control?  um, no thanks.  i rather enjoy my rights to bear arms.

Spanking?  for serious things, like if a kid is going to hurt themselves or someone else

Health Care?  i think everyone deserves health care. 

Public v. Private Schools?  go where you want

Breastfeeding?  is wonderful

bananahammock1
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Bump.. I dont have time.. about to log off.. I'll come back. :)

Proud infantry Army wife and mommy to 3 Army brats!american flag ribbon

ILive4This
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Quoting Beatlemama:

Abortion? pro choice

Public Assistance when necessary, not to be abused

Politics? democrat

Illegal Aliens? im not hardcore, i understand their dilemma, but wish they'd go thru the proper channels

ERF? no stance, my kids are big

Religion? not into organized religion

Gun Control?i hate guns

Spanking?i didn't spank my kids

Health Care?im for the recently passed plan

Public v. Private Schools?wherever your kids can get the best education.  We did public schools.

Breastfeeding?I bf and I think it's the best for babies

Butter331
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Abortion? Pro choice with your body, pro life with mine.

Public Assistance? Use it if you need it and only as long as you need it.

Politics? Conservative.

Illegal Aliens? Do it the right way.

ERF? Yes I do thanks for the info ladies.

Religion? Christian. 

Gun Control? Fully exercising my right to bear.

Spanking? Spare the rod...

Health Care? Provide assistance to those that can't provide for themselves. Keep it private.

Public v. Private Schools? Public schools. We bought our house based on the schools in the area.

Breastfeeding? Worked great for us but really do whatever is best for your family. 

PestPatti
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Abortion?--- Pro Choice.  Dont want an abortion dont have

Public Assistance?---No opinion

Politics?-- Middle of the road.

Illegal Aliens?-- no comment

ERF?-- my kids are way over the age

Religion?--- Catholic

Gun Control?---no comment

Spanking?-- fine line between disipline and abuse.

Health Care?--- not a right

Public v. Private Schools?--- no difference in my opinion

Breastfeeding?-- Wasnt my thing, but I have nothing against it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)