• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom delivers baby while driving...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

Yes, it's an amazing story, but all I keep thinking is...what an idiot!!!  Why didn't she just pull over instead of setting the cruise control at 70 and continuing to drive???  This article doesn't mention that, but that's what she said during a TV interview that aired on the news this morning...craziness!

Minnesota mom gives birth while driving herself to a hospital; dad steers as she cradles baby

BEMIDJI, Minn. - A Minnesota mother has given birth to a baby boy while driving herself to the hospital, with the newborn's father steering the car from the passenger's seat. The Pioneer of Bemidji said 29-year-old Amanda McBride was rushing to the hospital Wednesday when suddenly her water broke and the baby "just slid out."

McBride said she was feeling labor pains at work, so she drove to pick up the baby's father and headed for the hospital. The father, 33-year-old Joseph Phillips, did not drive because he has a history of seizures.

Phillips told the newspaper that McBride yelled at him to take the wheel as she cradled the 8 pound baby boy, Joseph Dominick Phillips.

Officials at North Country Regional Hospital said they were stunned to learn the expectant mother was driving.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strongerthanB4
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:42 AM

why was she driving and not the dad??

ginger813
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 AM

First of all, what kind of moron wouldn't pull over and call 911. Second, how the hell does an 8 pound baby "just slide out"?!

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:44 AM

What they said on TV was that she went into labor while at work and drove to get the dad.  I don't know why he didn't take over when she picked him up.

Quoting strongerthanB4:

why was she driving and not the dad??

CafeMom Tickers
mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:45 AM

On the TV interview, she didn't say that.  She didn't say it was difficult or took time, but she did have time to set the cruise control.

Quoting ginger813:

First of all, what kind of moron wouldn't pull over and call 911. Second, how the hell does an 8 pound baby "just slide out"?!

CafeMom Tickers
betsyabel
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I thought the same thing you did...why not pull over??  At the end of the story on the news they said the dad had a history of seizures, so that's why he wasn't driving.

Not so proud to be a Minnesotan at this moment lol

mamaoftwins9197
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM

At least there's sort of a valid reason for the dad not driving!!!!  Why not call 911 though?  Geez.

Quoting betsyabel:

I thought the same thing you did...why not pull over??  At the end of the story on the news they said the dad had a history of seizures, so that's why he wasn't driving.

Not so proud to be a Minnesotan at this moment lol

CafeMom Tickers
ALLYMAMA1105
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Luckily we made it to the hospital in time, but when my water broke my baby fell out too. right on the bed, no pushing or anything. he was only 7.2 but he still jsut fell out

Quoting ginger813:

greenie63
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Wow amazing! I noticed others asking why the dad wasn't driving I do believe i read in the story he has a history of seizures.  Also I'm thinking it's quite possible either they didn't have a cell phone to call 911 and who knows maybe she felt the hospital was close and she could get there.  Who knows, but wow what a way to give birth!

serjil
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Wow, talk about a multi-tasker. 

greenie63
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM

rolling on floor

Quoting serjil:

Wow, talk about a multi-tasker. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)