• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question with poll for answer!!! *** UPDATED WITH ANOTHER QUESTION****

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Which party idea sounds more fun to you?

Options:

hello kity, at a local park with free time to play

Build a bear with 6 or 7 kids max and lunch after

Dr Sueuss because she loves his books

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

Ladies, I'm trying to start planning my DD's birthday party. We have looked around and decided on a few themes but I need help narrowing it down and DD keeps changing her mind so what sounds more fun??? Thanks- Bethanny

I am going to do Dr. Seuss but I want to put on the invites that we would like books for our collection instead of other gifts but i'm not sure how to word it without sounding rude. Any ideas??? Thanks ladies!!!

CafeMom Tickers

I am a 25 yr old, very happily married wife to Bobby for over 4 years. Proud step mom to dylan (5) and proud mommy to a spoiled but not rotten princess and my heart Kayelynne (3). Who loves my family and this country life and can't describe myself or my parenting style in this paragraph. If you don't like it don't read it.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grammarpolice
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Dr. Seuss, because he is a genius in his own way, and so timeless. It really kind of "classes up" the party, if you know what I mean, rather than making it just "fluff and prettiness", now it is educational and classic.

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM

BUMP!

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I said Dr. Seuss because I think kid's parties should be simple.  The Build A Bear sounds like it's going to cost a fortune.  You're right to make an executive decision for her.

TinaN64
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I would do the Dr. Seuss at the park with free time to play.  LOL  My kids never liked Hello Kitty.  Dr. Seuss, as grammarpolice said, was a genius.  He knew how to get the interest of the kids, and keep it.  I learned to read because of him.  I LOVED the illustrations in his books and had to learn to read because I wanted to know what the book was about.  I remember "Go, Dogs, Go!" being the first book I learned to read.  I was 4 and that's one of my clearest childhood memories.  I remember when the words came to life for me.

No matter what theme, I'd do it at the park because kids get so little free playtime any more.  They are just scheduled into oblivion.

grammarpolice
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Quoting TinaN64:

I would do the Dr. Seuss at the park with free time to play. LOL  My kids never liked Hello Kitty.  Dr. Seuss, as grammarpolice said, was a genius.  He knew how to get the interest of the kids, and keep it.  I learned to read because of him.  I LOVED the illustrations in his books and had to learn to read because I wanted to know what the book was about.  I remember "Go, Dogs, Go!" being the first book I learned to read.  I was 4 and that's one of my clearest childhood memories.  I remember when the words came to life for me.

No matter what theme, I'd do it at the park because kids get so little free playtime any more.  They are just scheduled into oblivion.

LOL, were we separated at birth? SO what I was thinking!

Actually, does the "64" in your screen name have any significance? Because maybe we really WERE separated....

lilay
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Birthday Express has free shipping on Dr. Seuss stuff if you spend $25 use code ROE-056. It expires June 6th.  http://www.birthdayexpress.com/Dr-Seuss-Party-Supplies/66469/PartyKitDetail.aspx

BTW we are doing Dr. Seuss for my son's birthday next February.

grammarpolice
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Running with the Dr Seuss theme and combining it with free play time at the park, you could either choose a specific book of his and focus around that, or a more general theme. You could maybe find inexpensive "Cat in the Hat" hats to give out as favors, or, better yet, have that as your structured activity - make their own out of construction paper. But I'd keep the structured part to ONE activity - like Tina said, kids are overstructured into oblivion today and that's why they seem to NEED more & more structure - without it, they don't know what to do. So break that vicious cycle with your party!

kayelynnesmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Thanks ladies I was partial to dr. seuss to begin with I love him. I also love the fact she loves to read!!!! How can I put on her invites that we would rather have books as gifts?

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Don't put anything on the invite & people will call you.  When they ask tell them books.

Quoting kayelynnesmommy:

Thanks ladies I was partial to dr. seuss to begin with I love him. I also love the fact she loves to read!!!! How can I put on her invites that we would rather have books as gifts?

TinaN64
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM

LOL!  Tina is my first name... N is my last initial... 64 is the year I was born... March 2, 1964.

I HATE that people think their kids need to be "doing" something all the time.  As if playing and hanging around using their imagination is not doing something.

Quoting grammarpolice:

Quoting TinaN64:

I would do the Dr. Seuss at the park with free time to play. LOL  My kids never liked Hello Kitty.  Dr. Seuss, as grammarpolice said, was a genius.  He knew how to get the interest of the kids, and keep it.  I learned to read because of him.  I LOVED the illustrations in his books and had to learn to read because I wanted to know what the book was about.  I remember "Go, Dogs, Go!" being the first book I learned to read.  I was 4 and that's one of my clearest childhood memories.  I remember when the words came to life for me.

LOL, were we separated at birth? SO what I was thinking!

Actually, does the "64" in your screen name have any significance? Because maybe we really WERE separated....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)