Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What color is your kitchen? What color should I paint mine?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM
  • 41 Replies

We are buying our first home. We close next week. I want to start painting the day we close but I have no idea what color to pain the kitchen.  Its a galley style kitchen, but the upstairs is opened and you can look over the balcony down at the kitchen.

With it being small, I want a light color to open it up and make it seem bigger. I think this dark redish-brown color just makes the kitchen seem even smaller. Normally I would think yellow, but the living room and dining room are both shades of yellow. I may change those eventually, but not yet. Any ideas?

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM

I love your living area. As for your kitchen... I think it needs new cabinets before paint. Maybe you can just reface them?

dirtroads
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I LOVE nuetral tones. I would say something like an egg shell.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I LOVE bright colors!

like maybe a nice blue with nice white cabinets"?!"

Leeabee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:07 AM

IMO - I like your kitchen how it is. Currently my kitchen (keep in mind I live in a 100 year old farm house) has one red (we call it hooker red) accent wall behind my sink and the other walls are white. We have that "country apple" theme going so it matches well... The floor is a different story. That is like a 70's style linoliam (sp?). Very ugly  LOL. Sorry couldn't be more help. Maybe if you want to brighten it up try a soft yellow?

mstnbecki
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:08 AM

wow thats a small kitchen, everythings so close together.

jahvarzionmomma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM

i think you should do a light blue with a border that has blue and yellow in it

greeneyedgrl88
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM
Green is my favorite color, I lthink a nice krisp apple green would be pretty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM

My living room has bright yellow lower waynes coating and a light butter on the flat wall above.  That leads right into my kitchen which is peachy orange.  Its a big kitchen, but the bright color REALLY opens it up even more.  The previous owner had it dark blue and it was awful.  The kitchen seemed soooooooooo small and its not at all.  Its such a pretty color.  We later installed nice, light tan ceramic tile to further open up the kitchen.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Turkeysmom
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I would go with a light blue or a sage green color.  You'll have to post new pictures when you are finished with the painting.  Can't wait to see what it looks like.  As for my kitchen, all of it is light blue except one wall which is one continuous wall from the kitchen to the living room and it is a cream color. 

fairymom1981
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I just redid my kitchen! I painted the walls pink and added pink and brown polka dots. It made it look like it had a whole lot more room. Everybody thought I was crazy when I said I was going to do it, but now everybody loves it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)