• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitter Problems...Need some advice!!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 35 Replies

So I will try to simplify this as much as possible!

We hired a teenage girl to watch my 9 month old DS so I could get a part-time job for fun. When she came to her interview, she brought her mom with her. I am not usually one to judge but her mom looked like she was cracked out on something. My husband's parents used to do drugs when he was a kid and he kept saying "I know she is on something". I thought she might be but whatever I wasn't hiring the mom I was hiring the teenage girl. I know you can't choose your parents so I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt! Anyway she starts working for me and everything seems great! My son gets excited to see her and everything. On her 3rd day, she tried to bail out on coming in about 2 hours before I was expecting her. I pretty much told her I would have to find someone else if she didn't come cause I need someone reliable. Well she ended up coming so that seemed to work out and it gave me a chance to really enforce that I need someone that can be there when I need them.

Here's the big part: I come home from work last night pretty late. My husband wakes up to tell me about something( I know it was really bothering him since he gets up super early and doesn't usually wanna chit chat when I get home). Anyway, he said that he took her home and everything was good until he went into my son's room and noticed there was poop smeared all through the carpet. When he went to look over DS to make sure it wasn't on him, he noticed that he just smelled like poop all over and he needed a bath. 

My husband grew up pretty poor with trashy druggie parents and he is very proud that he no longer lives that way. He was just absolutely pi**ed off beyond belief! He kept saying "I don't want that shi* going on in my house, we don't live like trash and poop on the ground is just trash and blah blah blah". My husband is a super calm person and he was loosin' it over this! 

I am personally mad about it as well but I don't know! I don't feel that my son's safety is in any danger or anything. And I feel kind of bad about it. He wants me to fire her and find someone else. Again, she does great with my son but I guess she is lazy? Ah!

Help! Please give me some of your input! Just to help me process this and figure out what to say to her and what to do! Thanks!!! :)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lcappytan05
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:48 AM

personally, I would not keep her as my sitter. that is a major health hazard...not to mention that if someone were to call CPS or something, they could take your son away because of that.

beckygeiger
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM

is it possible that she changed his diaper on the floor and it was a messier diaper and it leaked on the carpet? If I was babysitting I'm not sure I'd give someone elses kid a bath if they didn't ask me to. but I would say he had a messy diaper and needs a bath, he made a mess on the carpet, do you have a steam cleaner?

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Well if there was poop on the floor and your child smelt of poop and needed a bath than she really doesn't do great with your son. I too would have been pissed off!

I would ask her about it.... She is to care for your child as if the child was her own...That is how I see how a babysitter should see it. Treat the child as if they were your own children. As letting her go, I would tell her why. If your husband is this upset and bothered by it I would respect his wishes and let her go.

loves4mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Quoting lcappytan05:

personally, I would not keep her as my sitter. that is a major health hazard...not to mention that if someone were to call CPS or something, they could take your son away because of that.

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I can understand the sitter not feeling comfortable with not giving the child a bath, but she could have told the parents about it to let them know. She didn't do that.

Quoting beckygeiger:

is it possible that she changed his diaper on the floor and it was a messier diaper and it leaked on the carpet? If I was babysitting I'm not sure I'd give someone elses kid a bath if they didn't ask me to. but I would say he had a messy diaper and needs a bath, he made a mess on the carpet, do you have a steam cleaner?

ChloeDolce
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I would get someone else 100%  Thats unacceptable.  Im kind of shocked you dont see it as an issue.  If she left your poor baby a mess like that than she's NOT great with your son. If I came home and my sitter left my house and my kids that way Id be flipping out.

beckygeiger
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:53 AM

thats what i was trying to say

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

I can understand the sitter not feeling comfortable with not giving the child a bath, but she could have told the parents about it to let them know. She didn't do that.

Quoting beckygeiger:

TheTaoOfKim
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM

A lot of 15 year olds don't have the common sense of an adult. She's 15.........

does she have any experience?

MommyAnnaBanana
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Was your child in bed when your husband got home?  If so he may have gotten up after he was supposed to be asleep and smeared the poo.

If not, how did your husband not notice the kid smelling like poo when taking the babysitter home? 

DevynHummer
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

We do change his diaper on the floor usually. We have a changing table but he rolls so much that I just do it on the floor so I am sure she does too. There is a possibility that it was a gnarly diaper, he is teething. 

I am mainly mad that she didn't tell anyone! I specifically told her to never give him a bath but she could have wiped him down with a wet towel and told my husband. And she could have either TRIED to clean up the mess or at least tell my husband if she wasn't sure how to clean it. 

Quoting lil_Army_Wife05:

Quoting beckygeiger:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)