• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just felt like I was drugging my child :(

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM
  • 15 Replies

He had to start some medication but would not take it because he couldn't swallow it. I am the same way. So I had to open the capsule and put it into his yogurt without him knowing. I feel so bad. I just kep thinking that I was drugging him or something :(

baby
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I would be careful about opening capsules..ask a pharmacist if it's ok to do so.

amomynous_j
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

why wouldn't it be ok? the op answered this already! geez!!

op, why does he need meds?

wait, how old is your child? why would a doc prescribe pills?

Quoting luv2wahm:

I would be careful about opening capsules..ask a pharmacist if it's ok to do so.

Ashtonsmommy529
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

His doctor said that it was OK to open the capsuls and put then in something if he couldn't swallow them. This is his first time having to have any sort of meds that are a pill form. He has ADD (dont need any nasty replies) He will be 7 on Saturday

Quoting amomynous_j:

why wouldn't it be ok?

Quoting luv2wahm:

baby
allurasmamma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Capsules put a time release on the pill. Which spreads the med evenly out. That way he would not be getting all the med at once. But opening it, cuts out the time release. But most capsules can be opened. Since the drug bead is coated.

I would talk to the pharmacist or Dr and get it in liquid. Most all pills they can make into syrup. What is it for?

Quoting amomynous_j:

why wouldn't it be ok?

Quoting luv2wahm:

-xoxo-
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Because some medications slowly dissolve in the stomach, letting out tiny bits of whatever's inside the capsule at a time. Digesting all of the contents at 1 time can be dangerous, depending on the medicine. OP, don't feel bad, you're just making sure your ds gets the meds he needs. Just be sure to check with your doctor before breaking his pills up again.

Quoting amomynous_j:

why wouldn't it be ok?

Quoting luv2wahm:

allurasmamma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

There is nothing wrong w/ giving a child ADD medicine. Where I choose to not medicate.... it helps a lot of kids out. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

amomynous_j
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM

well it's a good thing the doctor said it was ok, right? LOL

Quoting allurasmamma:

Capsules put a time release on the pill. Which spreads the med evenly out. That way he would not be getting all the med at once. But opening it, cuts out the time release. But most capsules can be opened. Since the drug bead is coated.

I would talk to the pharmacist or Dr and get it in liquid. Most all pills they can make into syrup. What is it for?

Quoting amomynous_j:

why wouldn't it be ok?

Quoting luv2wahm:

allurasmamma
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM

That is the thing with capsules. Most of them can be opened. Where with reg pills they also have a time release on, them can't be opened or crushed..or shouldn't be.

Quoting amomynous_j:

well it's a good thing the doctor said it was ok, right? LOL

Quoting allurasmamma:

Quoting amomynous_j:

why wouldn't it be ok?

Quoting luv2wahm:

momof41981115
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM

If he can't swallow the pills,maybe you could ask your dr. about switching to Daytrana.It's a patch that he wears and had alot less side effects than any of the pills we've tried with my dd.

TinaN64
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:16 AM

It's prescribed medicine... You'd feel better NOT giving it to him?  You were given specific instructions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)