Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've about had it!

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter who is nearly 3 1/2 has been biting her brother for a long while now, he is 2 1/2 and my son has also begun biting back. We've tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop, time outs, taking toys away, spanking, and yes yelling, because when you have a screaming child coming at you who has his sister's entire dental record on his arm, you just flip and I admit that. What else is there to do? I stay at home with the both of them and I have work to do around the house as well as work to do to prepare for what I do on a volunteer basis and as part time work in the evenings. I am frustrated and do not know what else there is to do to make this stop. Even when my daughter is around other children she is hitting them, taking toys away, pinching them, and I am just at wit's end. 

Any help or advice????

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AjsMom0508
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Don't let her do anything.  Don't give her any toys, don't let her watch cartoons, don't take her anywhere with you until she straightens up.  She's old enough to know that you don't bite and old enough to know that if she does she's going to get into trouble.  Have you tried biting back?  I know it sounds wrong and downright cruel but that's what I did with my son the first time he bit and he hasn't done it since.

treeswallow
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I actually had tried biting her back a long time ago when she was first biting. Lots of people told me how it worked for them, and well as you can see from my post that that backfired! 

Chelsea2101
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM

My son bit someone i told him it was wrong then gave him time out. He did it again and I though " does he know it hurts to get bitten" So When he bit that poor little girl i said to him " When you bite someone this is what you do to them" Then I bit his arm. Enough to cause a bit of pain but obviously not hard to hurt him. He has not bitten again. We also found a new way for him to let his frustration out and made sure that when he told us that little girl ( who was a year younger) was bothering him we fixed the situation. Usually he would just get mad cause she would take his toys. SHe didnt understand and he got mad. You can try that.

JordansMama2003
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I don't know....maybe put something nasty in her mouth every time she bites. Like vinegar or tabasco sauce??? That is the only thing I can think of that you have not tried already...

GL!

Chelsea2101
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Maybe try having one of her friends say "I dont want to be your friend anymore" and dont let her play with that friend till she straightens up. My son freaks out when he thinks he is going to loose a friend Good luck

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:17 AM

maybe a little pepper on the tongue?

treeswallow
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:21 AM

actually putting something nasty in her mouth may work...I remember when my sister and I were younger, my mom used to give her tabasco sauce whenever she was doing something bad...I am not sure yet what I could use that would be effective, or hopefully effective on my daughter.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

We always say "nice touches, awwwww" and help them hug each other. It takes a while but eventually they get it.

Benjamins-mama
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

don't leave them alone together, take toys away, no tv, try the tobasco in the mouth if she bites again or red pepper flakes?

warmcoffee
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Benjamins-mama:

don't leave them alone together, take toys away, no tv, try the tobasco in the mouth if she bites again or red pepper flakes?

In addition, you can have her help you with the housework; that way she will not be alone with the little one. It may be work, but it's also bonding/communication time with her.  Best wishes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)