• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHat am I supposed to do?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM
  • 5 Replies

I've been laid off for 9 months and have been doing everything I can to find a job.This entire time SO's mom has been saying get a job cause she wants to watch the grandkids. I finally got a job working in a factory 12 hour days-3 days per week,crappy hours but the first job I was offered in 9 months. So yesterday was my first day and it was rough being so hot. Then I came home to his mom  telling me I'm a mom and I belong here with my kids,they missed me so much. And SO saying I need to quit because he's not gonna see me enough with this schedule.We are a month behind on the house payment and electric bill and it's only gonna get worse,we only made it this long cause of unemployment and tax return.We cannot live on 1 income,theres just no way! And he knows that. Isn't it a moms job to financially support the children? What am I supposed to do?

MOMMY TO 4
SWEET LITTLE HEATHENS:)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nemiller
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

sit your husband down, go over everything you said here.  income vs. output.  compare how you'll be doing on just his job to how you'll be doing with 2 incomes.  once you've come to an agreement, talk to his mother (or another childcare provider if she can't keep her unwanted opinion to herself) about a permanent childcare plan.  i think being a SAHM is great if you want to and are able to afford it.  but when it's the difference between paying your bills on time and having debt, there's no question (in my mind at least) what needs to be done.

luv2wahm
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

It sounds like having a second income is just what you need right now. I would say keep the job. If you truly need the income, then that's what you have to do.

I am sorry you aren't getting support for doing what you know you need to do.

i.heart.rachel
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Sounds like his mom is just being a bitch. I'd keep the job, tell SO to suck it up and we all have to make sacrifices sometimes. If MIL won't watch your kids, find someone who will or get state help if you're financially strapped.

StructuredChaos
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Do what is best for your family.  Sit down and make a budget with your SO.  I don't think a 3 day a week schedule is bad!!  Better than working 5 or more days a week!  You can schedule a date night just for you and SO, you don't even have to go anywhere, just feed the kids first, then eat by yourselves (little things so you have alone time).  You just have to make a little extra effort.

De_Chick
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I wouldn't quit. You know that you need the money and really three days a week is NOTHING! Your children and hubs will adjust and eventually appreciate you more when you are home. As parents we have to do what we have to do to make sure our children are supported.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)