• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husband quitting job... I am pregnant... **UPDATE... Let me explain...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM
  • 118 Replies

So I am supposed to give birth in less than 4 weeks and my husband has decided the job he's been at for 2 years that pays great and has great benifits is too hard and he's just going to quit. He says he can't stick it out even for 3 more weeks. I'm not even going to get into that though. So I am tryng to figure out what happens bc we should be covered under COBRA but from my understanding it's not the same coverage as we have now, so I am afraid to lose the Dr Ive been going to through my whole pregnancy and have to go to some random person. I had a really traumatic experience w/ my son's birth bc of having to find a doc. at the last minute (we moved) and the experience was horrible. Please help me if u can!

*Thanks ladies for all the info. The info you gave me scared my husband, he thought it worked differently but I knew it didn't. Basically he works at a paper plant. It is back breaking work, but he recently got put on what they call the 'dry end' 4 months ago. He has hated it since then and says that he physically and mentally can't handle the job. He's not as good at working on these machines as he was at the other end and is constantly messing up, but not meaning to and he gets constant shit from co-workers lately. The biggest issue - If it is 95 degrees outside it is 106 where he is working due to the machines. We are in Texas and it has been around 100-106 in the plant for a week now. Some can handle it and some can't, and he's been saying for 4 months now that he can't take it, which I understand but it's obviously a total dumb ass move to quit your job 4 weeks before you have a child.  He thought he could cash out on his sick & vacation pay, which is only about 2 weeks worth, then find another job in those 2 weeks & be covered by COBRA. It's obviously not going to work like that which I knew right off the bat but he makes decisions without looking into things first. I was hysterical this morning, so he went up to work and talked to one of the main supervisors and begged them to just let him take any other position for 3 1/2 weeks until our baby is born. He had to make an appointment w/ the plant manager for tomorrow morning, but the supervisor told him he appreciated him coming in and talking to him, so maybe there is hope that this will work out just until then. Thanks again everyone :)

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luv2wahm
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Wow..does your husband have another job lined up?

As far as COBRA..I have never had to use it, but I have heard it is expensive..not sure if there is a change in coverage though..good luck to you!

De_Chick
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I don't know but I would literally kick his ass and tell him to grow the f up. Sorry I know that isn't helpful to you but man I'd be angry.

wife.and.mommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 AM

COBRA - you will most likely be paying for the full coverage (some companies will pay for 5%) you will have the same coverage as before.

so say his company is paying for 80% and only 20% comes out of his check, you will NOW be responsible for 100% of it.  

it can cost (depending on the ins) up to $2500 a month for coverage

QueenFelicia

wow. i would be livid. when my husband lost his job and we got the forms to see if we wanted to do COBRA the premiums were outrageously expensive. you will probably be out of luck with your doctor, too.  can't you talk your husband into staying at his job for one more month???

paralegalmommy

There really should not be a change in your coverage so much as a change in the premiums that you will have to pay.  More than likely you will have to pay through the nose for them so I hope that you guys can do that.  If I'm reading through the lines correctly you are not real thrilled with your dh's choice.  I hope that other plans are in place so that you do not have to stress anymore during a time that you need the stress the absolute least!

rchl882

nope... no other job lined up. He just assumes someone's going to hire him soon. But I don't even want to go there. He does have a very physical job and he's been complaning about it for the last 7 months, but yeah he could just wait until our baby is born... it's a long story, but all I care about right now is the insurance & the baby

Quoting luv2wahm:

Wow..does your husband have another job lined up?

As far as COBRA..I have never had to use it, but I have heard it is expensive..not sure if there is a change in coverage though..good luck to you!

Christine0813

Cobra will be expensive as well. He really needs to take a step back and think before he reacts. A baby will be here soon.

Quoting De_Chick:

I don't know but I would literally kick his ass and tell him to grow the f up. Sorry I know that isn't helpful to you but man I'd be angry.

slm047
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM

bump

kansasmom1978

I have heard COBRA is expensive.  Your husband should keep his job until he has another one lined up.  His wife is about to have a baby and he needs to think of someone other than himself.

NEWMOMOF1

Cobra is not the same as your insurance now. It's more money and totally different rules i do believe. Had it before

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)